Clutch Return Spring -trx850

wombat

Notice the spring was broken yesterday.

Went down the wreckers this morning and got a replacement.

Took the circlip and washer off, removed the lever arm off the spline and replaced the spring.

Put it all back together, attached the cable but found that I was not getting very much adjustment from either end.

OF COURSE. read the Haynes manual and realised to get it right you have to push the lever arm either inwards or forwards to see if the two intendations line up.

OF COURSE they didn't, so it all came apart again and was adjusted so it was right. I just happen to have a spare brand new clutch cable that I'd had for ages, so put that on and was able to get some adjustment (the old cable was on it's way out anyway). The clutch is working now but the adjustment is nearly all the way out at the lever and at the adjustment point down on the frame.

The bike has done 95,000kms and its still the original clutch - I'm thinking that the plates are worn and therefore the loss of adjustment. Am I on the right track?

What's a good aftermarket set? EBC? Std or the Kevlar ones? What are other people using?

I'm gonna take it for a test ride tomorrow (around 25kms = to my daily commute) to see if its all ok. And will pop in at my mechanics on the way home on Monday and gauge his opinion - its only 500 - 1000km off its 96,000 k service so might get a new clutch fitted at the same time.

Bob

I know this might sound really obvious, but I'm speaking from experience here. I fitted a new cable once and got in a tizz as I couldn't get the clutch to stop slipping, the more I tightened it the more it slipped. Like a dick I fitted it in my work lunch break so I had to ride back with my clutch feeling like an elastic band. Once I'd got home I sat down and thought about it: For the clutch to engage I need slack on the cable, not tension. Make sure you've got a bit of slack at the lever before it starts pulling on anything and you're good to go.

Archived