Regulator/rectifier

blow_away

I'm useless with bike electrics, so bear with me.

I think the reason that the battery gets flattened on my KTM Superduke is that the rectifier is dead :(

When the bike is ticking over the battery is showing about 13 volts, but testing the lead from the reg/rec only gives an output of 0.2 volts, so presumably as the bike needs power all the time to power the fuel pump, it just drains the power from the battery?

I'm waiting for dear old Fowlers to come back to me with a price and availability, but I am expecting to be arse raped.

The reg/rec has a part number on it, SH541KB, but I can't find a manufacturer name. I could not find the price for the part on the KTM fiche for reasons that elude me? It is part number 30 on here.

http://www.ams4ktm.co.uk/category/7-oem-parts.aspx?year=2007&biketype=48503&model=49127&fiche=49144

So I'm on the lookout for alternatives - Am I right in assuming that just about any 3 phase reg/rec with the right number of cables coming out of it will do the job? Or is it more complex than that? Any suggestions for what might fit?

This one looks like it has come from the same manufacturer, but it does not have a separate earth wire like mine.

Have you tried a company called electrex, shit hot with all things electric and usually cheaper than OEM stuff

How are you find the Superduke Al?

Oh and I hope it's a black one. Black Superdukes are faster despite what Mitch says.

Have you tried a company called electrex, shit hot with all things electric and usually cheaper than OEM stuff

I was going to one for my TDM from there but found it cheaper from M&P so shop around?

And once you have found a part number for it see what other bikes have the same one and maybe source one that way??

How are you find the Superduke Al?

Oh and I hope it's a black one. Black Superdukes are faster despite what Mitch says.

Yep, got a black one - I fuckin hate orange motorbikes :D

Not really bonded with it yet though, only done one trip in dark and freezing cold conditions. All the other trips have been short hops until this problem on Xmas Eve. I've bought a cheap CAT D bike, but it has been dropped on one side, so it's not pretty. Got some other issues such as the exhaust blowing, mismatched tyres, wanky indicators, nothing done up tight etc. Got the Dragon Rally coming up soon, so I've got until the end of Jan to get the bike up 100% reliable, so I might need to pick your brains later.

Al, you'll probably have 5 wires coming from your reg/rec. If not ignore all of the following:

One's the earth, one's the positive to your battery, the other 3 are from your generator. Suss out which one's which. Stick your multimeter onto the battery and start the bike. It should be giving about 13V. Rev it up and it should increase, perhaps to about 14V but then the level should flatten off, perhaps dropping to about 0.2v less than whatever it was when it was at its peak. If it keeps on going up as the revs get higher, you ain't regulating.

Then get your 3 wires from the generator. Bosh the -ve lead on your multimeter onto the frame or something, earth it, then with your meter on AC this time, check the output of each of the 3 wires from the generator. At about half way up the rev range (I guess about 4krpm on your bike) you should have about 50V on each of your 3 outputs. If one's much lower than the other (which is pretty unlikely) then you've got a faulty winding, if one's dead completely (much more likely) then you've got either a knackered cable from the winding or the again, the winding's knackered (take the cover off and make sure it's all connected up OK in there).

That's all there is to a charging system, 3 wires from the generator, a feed to the batter and an earth to somewhere else, frame or battery. It can be a pain in the ass digging out wires and connectors but really, it's a peice of piss to suss out what's happening, or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick reply, and big thanks to Uggiebear for all his help by PM :thumbsup:

It turns out it was the reg/rec. apparently a known source of trouble on these bikes. Electrex do not do a direct replacement, fortunately an original KTM one was "only" about £50 plus the VAT. I fitted the new one and initially had the same problem, trouble was I had tried to neaten up the original installation by re-siting the earth wire, but the earth would not work properly in the new location, so I'll just have to put up with it hanging outside the bellypan.

I've been using the bike daily for a few days, and fingers crossed its all OK.

Archived