Ducati Won't Start!

redsprocket

Ok, before I launch into a frenzy of buying new parts, I thought I'd throw I out to the knowledgeable peeps out there! :eusa_think:

The bike is a 95 Ducati, 944 ferracci kit, stage 3 cams, k&n, hyperpro hock and fork spring, so its in the spirit of Pb.

It's been rarely used over the last year and half, but has run, including upto the last two/ three weeks. Although starting it and letting it tick over proberly wasn't a brilliant idea.......

I'm going to change the belts, but thought I'd service it, oil change etc, before hand,

Sooooooo........went to start it today and lots of turning over, lots of bangs, farts and backfires (yes and the bike..... :rolleyes: .) but no starting, even when jumping from the car.

I'm going to order new plugs, not done many miles but are three years old, and before I strip carbs, and generally curse alot, any thoughts appreciated! :thumbsup:

Hmm, fuel filter could be clogged, damp plugs etc Is the fuel flowing freely if you disconnect the pipes?

If the battery is fubarred (likely) it won't run either....They need plenty of juice and should tick over at 13 volts at least.

Where abouts in Lincolnshire art thou? (I am in Scunthorpe)

Put the kettle on, it will be reet....

Hi

No belts not changed yet,

Battery been on trickle charge, and still wouldn't jump start!

Fuel filter could be blocked but plugs getting wet an it's lighting it's own! :eusa_think:

I'm in Sleaford. Oh and kettles been drunk dry!

Cheers

lots of bangs and backfires say to me that its flooded, so i would strip the plugs out and put them in a warm oven to dry out, while thats going on, turn the engine over a fw times to expel any fuel in the cyls. (could leave them unplugged overnight to fully dry out) pop the plugs back in and give it another go... if no go, then, I would think it may be the sprag thats given up the ghost.

I think it's flooded too. Plugs out, wet and black........time for new ones and go from there! :thumbsup:

Yeah, you could go new ones, or just dry out and re-gap the ones you have, you were gonna change them anyway so now is as good a time as any.

Yeah, you could go new ones, or just dry out and re-gap the ones you have, you were gonna change them anyway so now is as good a time as any.

New plugs, press the starter and 'Oh yes' that's more like it! :eusa_dance:

Cured for now........... ;)

Cheers :beerchug:

Archived