Cleaning Valves

Alex_H

Hello all,

I'm in the process of moving a set of valves from one stock r1 head to a ported head.

Basically, my question is whats the best method for cleaning these things up before refitting them? The inlets arn't too bad, its the heavy carbon on the exhaust valves thats got me asking, as I dont want to attack them with the wrong thing and do any damage!

Thanks in advance :icon_salut:

Hello all,

I'm in the process of moving a set of valves from one stock r1 head to a ported head.

Basically, my question is whats the best method for cleaning these things up before refitting them? The inlets arn't too bad, its the heavy carbon on the exhaust valves thats got me asking, as I dont want to attack them with the wrong thing and do any damage!

Thanks in advance :icon_salut:

Clamp them in a pillar drill and use emery paper on the heads but keep away from the stems ,the heads of the valves are hard as fu*k you wont damage them

Clamp them in a pillar drill and use emery paper on the heads but keep away from the stems ,the heads of the valves are hard as fu*k you wont damage them

+1 :icon_bounce:

Be very careful of the stems. Any damage and you will bugger the guides and seals inshort order

Saying that, wire brush in a drill, or hold it in a collet and emery etc should be fine.

Would ultrasonic shift it ?

I'd say not likely unless some kind of mega chemical was used, we've got one at work you see and tried it on similar things before to no avail, namely a powervalve. Didn't touch it with some acid stuff we used or the citrus types of cleaner. Didn't try a solvent though.

Will give your suggestions a go lads, I think I'll slip the stem inside some rubber pipe, then stick it in the pillar drill and give it some love with the emery. I'll keep you posted!

Out of idle curiosity, is there any way to chemically remove built up carbon deposits?

There is caustic soda stand them upright in a baking tray with only the heads covered in the solution,you will need to leave them for a day or two but DONT try this with any alloy parts or sodium filled valves (just in case there is a crack in the stem ) you will not like the results, we used to use this on 2 stroke expansion chambers to remove all the kack back in the old days.

There is caustic soda stand them upright in a baking tray with only the heads covered in the solution,you will need to leave them for a day or two but DONT try this with any alloy parts or sodium filled valves (just in case there is a crack in the stem ) you will not like the results, we used to use this on 2 stroke expansion chambers to remove all the kack back in the old days.

I've heard of the caustic soda method too. I once saw a lad de-coke a 2 stroke pipe by pointing a blow torch down it for about 20 minutes, then sticking an air line into it. It was quite spectacular.

I've heard of the caustic soda method too. I once saw a lad de-coke a 2 stroke pipe by pointing a blow torch down it for about 20 minutes, then sticking an air line into it. It was quite spectacular.

We just pored petrol down them and set them on fire tapped them with a hammer and then shot down the petrol station and blow them out with the air line, that was over 30 years ago and the oil we had to use you wouldn't put in a lawnmower now.

Had to do that nearly once a month .

ps. dont try any of the above on modern 2t ped exhaust they have cats inside and it will fu*k them royaly.

Caustic soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide will shift allmost everything :icon_salut: .A sauce pan, completely black with burnt-on pasta/sauce, was left overnight, with aforementioned juice. Next day, clean as a very clean thing. The liquid was clear, everything was dissolved. It's an unofficial, but approved method, taught at brewing schools.

Archived