Ducati 996 Slipper Clutch (very Odd Noise)

micro-monkey

Recently fitted a MPL slipper clutch to my 996 and its sorted the locking rear wheel problem into corners - scared the shit outta me. It all seems to be functioning properly but at low speeds and launching when slipping the clutch, it makes a god awful noise just before the biting point. stripped the clutch after and no wear or damage. it may be normal but it sounds odd.

Interesting. I have an SMT slipper clutch on my 06 Multistrada 1000 S DS and I occasionally get a very odd feeling clutch lever, bit like ABS and the feeling you get through the pedal in a car when it cuts in. Feels very graunchy if that makes sense but it doesn't do it all the time. Primarily on down changes; slipper clutch cutting in/out? My bikes also running an open clutch cover and my mates think its very loud too. Perhaps all part of the dry/open/slipper clutch experience? Bikes away havings its winter overhaul by a bike mechanic mate and he's going to have a ride of it and see what he thinks but it didn't ring any alarm bells when I described it to him.....

Ducati...an experience compared to Jap kit!!

Corners

Recently fitted a MPL slipper clutch to my 996 and its sorted the locking rear wheel problem into corners - scared the shit outta me. It all seems to be functioning properly but at low speeds and launching when slipping the clutch, it makes a god awful noise just before the biting point. stripped the clutch after and no wear or damage. it may be normal but it sounds odd.

Dirty plates, take them out and clean them with brake cleaner. Another cause could be not enough dished played (the ones with the dot on) you need at least 2 to help cut down the vibration.

The basket did have a little wear on the fingers but was not that bad. A light filing sorted that and i checked the dished plates with a piece of flat glass and that was fine. its all setup to correct stack height and the settings for the pressure plate to the kernal are within the 0.6 to 1.2mm clearance. I triple checked everything and am sure i have done nothing wrong. Will try the brake cleaner and see what that does. I feel nothing through the lever and i feel it works excellent. The noise sounds like when you get something caught in the rollers of a dyson although not quite that loud. Its only at low speeds while slipping the clutch and is pretty consistent, does not get louder or quieter. Its not metallic sounding, more of an abrasive sound with a light click. I have a feeling the noise comes from the 1st friction plate on the inner. It is 100% positive that the friction disk goes on first, then the 1st dished plate then so on. That is what the instruction says but is it the same for other slipper clutch brands.

It is 100% positive that the friction disk goes on first, then the 1st dished plate then so on.

A steel plate first can drop off the back of the drum if you see what I mean. If its just noisy and not grabby give it a clean. If its grabby, check the clutch pack depth and/or increase the number of dished plates.

I find 12T Ducati slipper clutches a right pain in the arse to set up properly

yeah thats what i thought about the reason for a friction disk first. will try the cleaner and another dished plate.

cheers

Here's a rather counter intuitive soloution from the ms Ducati site. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/123775-grabby-shreiking-clutch-how-i-cured.html

Not try'd it myself but the guys who suggested it are pretty switched on with Ducati.

Archived