Cleaning Stainless Headers To A Satin Finish

B@W

Not the most 'hardcore' of questions, but I need to get a set of stainless headers off a Caterham cleaned up; there is no corrosion, just five years of road scum and tarnish.

Is there a method of blasting (aqua?) that will bring them up to a nice satin finish. The collector box is a bit fiddly to clean up manually with Scotchbrite in my opinion, plus I am bone idle when it comes to cleaning bikes and cars.

Cheers

Not the most 'hardcore' of questions, but I need to get a set of stainless headers off a Caterham cleaned up; there is no corrosion, just five years of road scum and tarnish.

Is there a method of blasting (aqua?) that will bring them up to a nice satin finish. The collector box is a bit fiddly to clean up manually with Scotchbrite in my opinion, plus I am bone idle when it comes to cleaning bikes and cars.

Cheers

hello, i've often thought about cleaning up my headers, (micron serpeant stainless), they are pretty tarnished, but no corrosion like yours, i've had a go with scotchbright before and to be honest it didn't really do much, i take it you want it back to a non shiny silver? if i were to do mine, i'd probably do a little test piece using the bench grinder (wire wheel attachment!) and see how it comes out. I might get slated for this, but stainless is pretty darn tough and i'm sure it can take it.

Ant

Get to a pukka car bodywork type place and buy some heavy duty cutting paste, not just t-cut, proper heavy stuff. Done in a short while, leaving you free to go out committing crimes with your new finger-print free finger tips.

Do you have an air compressor and a neighbor that needs their yard defiled?

Get yourself a ~12" long piece of 7/16" plastic tubing and make a hole on the oblique a couple inches from the end of it. Insert the nozzle from your dusting attachment and tape it securely on. Cut an angle on the dangling end and insert it into a box of baking soda. Congratulations,you've just made yourself a media blasting gun.

Works great at removing road gunk and will leave a nice satin finish.

If they're very heavily tarnished,might have to use a bronze wheel but of course that will leave a brushed sheen.

Solvol Autosol and a nylon pan scourer. Works a treat. :thumbsup:

+1. absolutely the best combo in my books for bringing back stainless or alloy parts from the dead if using elbow grease. However it will be alot more gloss/shiny than satin.

Have recently found out the advantage of a bench grinder with a buff wheel and polish stick... goodbye sweaty clothes and aching arms and hands!

Use an alloy wheel cleaner,most of them are a mild acid, works a treat, have used wonder wheels but am sure there is something cheaper available...

brick cleaner works well on alloy wheels but needs watering down and burns your hands like wonder wheels and is available from builders merchants

Archived