Brembo Rear Caliper

BUSABOY

I have just fitted a Brembo brake caliper to my Hayabusa. The caliper and lines have been bled properly, there is no air in the caliper, lines or master cylinder. What I have found though is that the brake lever has to travel a lot further, before the brake pads bite. The lever travels almost to the bottom of its range. I have fitted Giles rearsets as well. Will I have to change the master cylinder to reduce the lever travel or is there another fix.

Here is a picture of the caliper.

KGrHqNHJsE63KsoKDvBO1PUBT060_12.jpg

Thanks

This may sound obvious but have you been bleeding the caliper with it off the bike, upside down (so it's actually right way up) and using an old spare disc or suitable wedge for the pads to bite on during bleeding?

It may just be a master cylinder-caliper mismatch in terms of piston bore though. I can't remember what size 'Busa m/cylinders and satndard calipers are...

This may sound obvious but have you been bleeding the caliper with it off the bike, upside down (so it's actually right way up) and using an old spare disc or suitable wedge for the pads to bite on during bleeding?

It may just be a master cylinder-caliper mismatch in terms of piston bore though. I can't remember what size 'Busa m/cylinders and satndard calipers are...

No it was bled with the caliper in situ. upside down.

No it was bled with the caliper in situ. upside down.

Ah right. Pop it off then, see if your line will allow you to sit it on top of the disc or use a spare or suitable 'object' to wedge the pads with, bleed it and see if more air comes out. I think it will.

Good luck ;)

I'd guess the pads are pretty new if it's a new caliper, but all the same, try to make sure the pistons don't come out very much when you're bleeding it, ie the wedgey thing you use between the pads, make it thick, some times you can get a bit of air trapped behind the pistons themselves.

Ah right. Pop it off then, see if your line will allow you to sit it on top of the disc or use a spare or suitable 'object' to wedge the pads with, bleed it and see if more air comes out. I think it will.

Good luck ;)

Thanks for helping out. I do have a spare disc - just need to make sure its the same size as the one fitted to the bike or I will have problems fitting the caliper back on. The line is not long enough to reach the top of the brake disc on the bike. :xmas:

I've heard replacing it with an R6 calipers solves the 'shite Aprilia rear brake' thing.

Or is it just the bracket? I can't remember.

Um, where's the bleed nipple on those things?

Right next to the banjo bolt, the two are kinda interchangeable.

What size M/C are you using? I changed the rear caliper on my Blackbird for a Brembo gold and had to swwap the 17mm OEM one for a 1/2" one from a ZX9R.

It may just be a master cylinder-caliper mismatch in terms of piston bore though. I can't remember what size 'Busa m/cylinders astandardard calipers are...

Success! I was able to turn the caliper the 'right way up' and bled the caliper from there. What a difference, thats made, hardly any travel now before the pads bight the disc. The whole conversion to Brembo has made a difference to feel and stopping power over the OEM. Much lighter too. I must try and convert the front calipers to Brembo's in the New Year. Would Brembo Goldline P4's fit? I think they are Ok off a 996 or Aprilia RSV? Not much on ebay at the moment.I guess I will need to try and find someone to make up conversion plates as I will need to go from 90mm to 65mm spacing between the caliper mounting bolts. Can anyone recommend someone with CNC skills to complete the work? :thumbsup:

Glad the bleeding did the trick ;)

'Fraid I can't help with the caliper fitment issues, I don't really know the spacings wekll enough but hopefully someone will be able to help you there.

Have a good *mas.

Have you bled it at the master cylinder too?

If you don't have a bleed nipple on it, bleed it via the banjo bolt, remember to put some old rags round so the fluid doesn't squirt everywhere! ;)

Have you bled it at the master cylinder too?

If you don't have a bleed nipple on it, bleed it via the banjo bolt, remember to put some old rags round so the fluid doesn't squirt everywhere! ;)

Thanks Barry and Road Rider, all Ok at the MC although no bleed nipple. I am pleased with the way it works now, so I will leave it alone. Here is a picture:

IMG_0485.jpg

thats a bloody lovely (lower) back end you've got there Busaboy, glad the brake is working well.

Cheers BigKev, just need to sort out the front brakes now and find someone who can make up some Conversion Plates in order to fit a pair of Brembo P4's. Can't seem to find anyone who offers them up for sale or who can CNC them from aluminum. Can anyone recommend anyone who can make the plates or has done this type of conversion?

Have you got a pic of the caliper as I did a search and Brembo P4 gave quite a few different calipers.

Hi Gixerboy, early days yet as I need to source the calipers for the front. I hope to accomplish this in the new year. I have looked in the usual places - ebay etc. but not much on over the XMAS period. Something like this though, with the Goldline front with the 65mm spacing http://www.phillipmccallen.co.uk/accessories/brembo-brakes/brake-calipers/oem-original-equipment-management

Thet look easy enough. I would charge £60 a set including anodising. let me know if you are interested when you have the calipers as I will need the new and old calipers to measure the offsets etc.

Archived