Bawsteward Chinese 125 Issues (again)

landy63

Right its not the first time Ive come here for advise regarding said bike but this time its a different subject which is at least progress in my eyes?!

This is only a theory at this stage so bear with me

i bought my uncle an AJS cr-3 125 so he could learnt to ride and experience the joys a do on 2 wheels. whats actually happened is, Ive scared him into thinking bike ownership is one problem followed swiftly with another :(

The issue this time I think is exhaust related :eusa_think:

The previous owner chopped the exhaust open and cut the baffles out to give it that 17yr old boy racer sound

Now I reckon due to this, the bike isnt recieving enough back pressure and is causing it to run alittle lumpy? Now besides the awfull sound it makes could this be a factor in the carb set up woes ive had?

Is it practical to weld in an insert of some kind into the endcan to reduce noise and produce more back pressure or even weld in some baffling or should i just bite the bullet and a full system as you can buy just an endcan?

Id rather do it my self rather than buy, to prove my mechanical prowess but im afraid i might be biteing off my than i can chew ere?

whats the forum consensus?

It'll just need the carb setting up properly to make it run ok. Bigger main jet, possibly pilot as well and move the needle around until you get it running smoothly. It's not rocket science and at least you've only got one carb to deal with!

The exhaust on it doesn't really matter but you could weld something back in if you wanted.

Cheers fatman,

I think re-jetting will be the on the 'to do list' then. Im going to weld in an insert into the end can like the ones you get with new exhausts? will at least cure the god dam racket it makes!

ive had a few rsv millies that are quieter!

Archived