Clutch Problem

Hi Folks,

Does anybody know why the nut in the middle of the second photo would keep coming loose? The clutch felt like it had disengaged completely, so I've removed the clutch cover & pressure plate to find the nut completely loose. I've tightened it, used the locking nut, fired the bike up and it's disengaged again almost immediately. This has happened twice now. I don't have a torque wrench, and the service manual recommends 60nm, is this where I'm going wrong? When it first went, the bike was in gear and it felt like it had just dropped itself into neutral but even with the bike turned off, it wouldn't go into gear at all. Does this suggest it gearbox issues also? There were a few little shards of metal in there the last time I removed the cover, certainly not a good sign...

6491193779_35ccd157ea.jpg

6489412101_fbee50a374.jpg

The bike is a 2009 YZF 250.

I would suggest that first off you get a torque wrench and tighten the centre nut up to the manual specified figure.

Check the threads on the shaft and nut to make sure they are both ok.

Not sure about the 'locking nut' - I guess that replaces a tabbed lock-washer - but presumably that has a torque setting in the manual also?

If you torque everything up as per the manual then (i) the problem may go away or (ii) you'll then know it's a different problem.

Have you got a clutch holding tool, to lock the centre and basket when tightening up the nut? You can do it without but it makes life easier...

Please don't take this the wrong way but have you replaced the locking tab washer and bent it up against the flat of the nut? It does look a bit mashed in the pictures.

I was thinking exactly this. It doesnt look to to be bent up to the nut at all.

Apologies, when I said locking nut I meant locking tab.

Nope, I've not replaced the locking tab it or bent it flat against the nut, is this pretty much essential?

I'll either get myself a torque wrench or just take it to a garage tomorrow, my mechanical knowledge is terrible and I really don't want to cause any further damage!

Doesn't the fact that the nut keeps coming undone pretty much tell you that it it is essential???? :eusa_wall:

Yes it certainly makes more sense! :icon_blackeye:

Thanks for the replies anyway, at least I know where I'm going wrong.

Yes it certainly makes more sense! :icon_blackeye:

Thanks for the replies anyway, at least I know where I'm going wrong.

I couldn't see the pics when I posted my previous reply - hence my comment above.

PS get yourself a new tabbed lockwasher from your local yam dealer. they are only a couple of quid at most.

you should ideally replace the lockwasher every time. if you haven't got a clutch holding tool or a torque wrench, take it to a dealer before you damage it.

Archived