Problems Starting

rsb

Hi I would really be grateful for some help and advice.

I bought a bike yesterday and it was running fine when i viewed it I loaded it into a van and got it home but now it wont start. I noticed that the fuel tap was on reserve so I put in A jerry can of fuel and still no joy the battery seems fine. The starter is turning and the bike sounds like it wants to start (Splutters) but it just wont run any advice please help

Have you tried setting the fuel tap to 'prime' and then starting it? AFAIK if the carb float bowels have been emptied you need to refil them by doing this

Just been out to it and done that and also took the plugs out they were black and on had no gap so reset them put them in and it spluttered on its own for a few seconds then it died and now just splutters

Just been out to it and done that and also took the plugs out they were black and on had no gap so reset them put them in and it spluttered on its own for a few seconds then it died and now just splutters

Black plugs = weak spark mate. load test your battery.

If you battery is not strong enough it will not have the cranking amps to start it,but it will turn it over.make sure battery is fully charged up and then try it.

If its not that you need to clean your carbs.

:thumbsup:

You could try bump starting it I suppose, though it doesn't sound like that would work either.. It may be that the spark is not powerful enough so you could try a new battery, or just an overnight optimating of the one on there, if that doesn't work I'd be tempted to stick some redex in the tank. After that, that's my mechanical starting knowledge used up I'm afraid.

Whan you viewed it did you see it started from cold?

Plugs out, turn engine over to clear it.

Battery off, on overnight charge.

NEW plugs.

Check air filter.

Try again.

Fingers crossed.

not trying to be cheeky, but Have you turned the fuel tap to ON?. and checked that you havent hit the red kill switch?... I know, obvious stuff mate, but its amazing just how easy it is to get caught out with the simple stuff :eusa_whistle:

Thank youall for the help. The red switch caught me out before so was first thing i checked lol . I felt the engine when i viewed itand it felt cold but started first time. I have filled the tank and also replaced the plugs soon as new plugs were changed then is was sounding better i jumped it and it started and now is running. Shame i couldnt get a ride today though oh well ill have to go for one tomorrow instead.

Archived