Any Suggestions For A Rusty Minging Tank

hipringle

Just picked up a 4000 mile gsxr750 srad which has been stood without moving a wheel in6 years, yeop, 6 years. Hasnt been started in approx 3. I had a look in the tank & its lifting, theres brown "petrol'" in it but its also rusty. Gonna obviously take it off & drain it does anyone have any suggestions for relining it with something?. Gonna try some injector cleaner thru it as well.

pics of the dormant beast... :icon_bounce:...i bought one a few years back,that was under a sheet for 8 years....was a scraper pore old thing,but panel work was A1..still have it up in the loft.. :eusa_whistle:...the 96 gold one...and the tank was ok....will do a yank stretched srad one day... :icon_puke_r:..only place i can see the fairings going... :eusa_dance:

Aaaaha, should have searched, I,d heard about nuts swished around but didnt know about the petrol seal being pretty shite think a good scour out & a double seal with por 15 should do the trick nicely, ta. Sie the bikes manky mate not worth bothering with a pic just yet.

By the way, when I switch the ignition on surely I should be able to hear the pump priming like my superb k3?, well it doesnt :(

(yes its injected, well rather it should be...)

well the problem with it not priming was this. Its now working I used a lump hammer (fairly gently).

IMAGE_105.jpg

the bike is a bit "dusty"

IMAGE_100.jpg

IMAGE_101.jpg

couple of handful of nuts & small bolts & the tank is looking better, I,ve used a gallon of parrafin so far!

Just picked up a 4000 mile gsxr750 srad which has been stood without moving a wheel in6 years, yeop, 6 years. Hasnt been started in approx 3. I had a look in the tank & its lifting, theres brown "petrol'" in it but its also rusty. Gonna obviously take it off & drain it does anyone have any suggestions for relining it with something?. Gonna try some injector cleaner thru it as well.

I used this kit.

Transformation was amazing.

Try to avoid lining the tank if poss. If you absolutely have to, Por15 is the kit to use

• 2 weeks later...

pics of the dormant beast... :icon_bounce:...i bought one a few years back,that was under a sheet for 8 years....was a scraper pore old thing,but panel work was A1..still have it up in the loft.. :eusa_whistle:...the 96 gold one...and the tank was ok....will do a yank stretched srad one day... :icon_puke_r:..only place i can see the fairings going... :eusa_dance:

An srad then ;)

Archived