Carbon Fibre Exhaust Sleeve

El Gringo

Hi All,

Right, i've got a japanese home market Yoshimura Cyclone can for my CBR4. Proper job really nice ally can, apart from the couple of time it's been up the road and now looks a little worse for wear.

About 5 years ago i took it apart with a view to rebuilding it.

Problem is can i find a sleeve in the right size? Can i bollox!

I've tried PJ Engineering twice now, first time he asked if i'd measured it right and the second time he hasn't even replied.

So i throw the question open to the floor, any one know of a carbon fibre tube supplier, i've tried the first 4 on google but with no luck so far. If i can't find carbon it'll have to be ally but i'm struggling to find that aswell

Dimensions are 102mm ID, 104mm OD and 410mm long

Cheers

Chris

Ahhhh cunning idea but having looked i don't think it would handle the temp, they only go up to 160 degrees C

Although i didn't know about that site, i've had a more thorough peruse, they make it look so easy i reckon even a chimp like me could make some bits like that :wacko:

Cheers

Why don't you send the bits off to PJ Engineering and let them sort it for you. Saves messing about with all the bits and it's not that expensive.

Problem is they don't do a 102mm ID sleeve and neither it seems does anyone else.

Hey ho the search continues

Actually having now spoken to an industrial carbon company, not as silly as i first thought.

Carbon MODs do a High Temp kit so it might be worth a go.

The guy said they could make me a 102mm ID tube but i'd have to buy a minimum of 100 @ 5.2m long. :o

I reckon i could get a piece of 4" steel tube, wrap it and Vac Bag it to get a nice finish.

What does everyone reckon? I know we've got some carbon masters on here.

Cheers

Chris

For all that dicking about I'd sell it as is and buy a new one.

I was thinking that but a proper Japanese home market Yoshi for a 400 is quite a rare thing, i've never seen another on ebay.

How bad is the sleeve - got any pics?

Can't you drill out the rivets and spin the sleeve 180o so the damage is hidden?

It's looking like this is the final option, i can even fine an ally tube supplier with the correct size, so a good clean up and re rivet is the way forward.

This thread has thrown up the carbon fibre kits that i didn't know about and i quite fancy having a go, so not a total waste of time

Cheers all

Chris

how about contacting the likes of mtc and getting a aluminium or stainless sleeve fabricated, or even racefit for a ti sleeve? less than an hours fabricating+welding, plus the materials.

Archived