Penske Shocks...any Good?

boris

hello i have a 929 blade i use for track days and have been offered a second hand penske shock for it. i havent any experience with these shocks so am in the dark really.are they any good?

any help will be great

cheers

cool.gota b good if it felt good on a bike with that kinda power!cool

the guy selling it also has an ohling but thats another 200 quid more than the penske one and he said theres not much difference in the two apart from the ohlins has the remote preload adjuster!

cheers for the super fast reply!

The shocks are custom built, so you may have to change the spring or have the internals set up to suit. They are owner-rebuildable, if you have the kit and the knowledge. Base model 8900E is an emulsion shock. It's an ok unit, but the 8983 is much better suited to fast road or race use and more resistant to cavitation. The 8983 is a high quality race shock, which will be more than enough for most. It is of modular construction, so you can have an 8983 converted 'up' to 8987 spec, which is a very sophisticated piece of kit, beyond my meagre ability level.

Hope this helps.

Edit: There are schematic drawings on the Penske site, so you can identify the shock.

Here is an 8983.

http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/PS-8983BOMWITHCD.pdf

N.B I may sound knowledgeable here, but it is merely a thin facade, veiling a deep abyss of ignorance. I gleaned these factoids from one Zenodamper of Sydney, Australia who sourced my 8983 and set it up for me.

ha ha ha thats cool.any info is good info!

i have just bought it in anycase and when i recieve it will check the spring number and when xmas is out the way send it to ktech or penske for a service and check over!

it isnt the piggy back type it has the remote reservoir and has lots of twiddly bits so im presuming it isnt the base model.

plus the guy said its as good if not better than the ohlins one he had there too.

anythings got to be better than the standard 32 thousand mile unit thats on the bike!

just a set of stiffer springs and new fork oil in the front and shell b a new bike me thinks!

cheers guys!

There is a penske service centre somewhere in brum. We send ours back for servicing and damping mods all the time. Quality piece of kit. Never broke. It gets serviced in case, not because.

Won two championships.

:icon_salut: TOP STUFF! cant wait to get it! plus it gives me something to do over the weekend i guess. want it all setup and ready to rock before january as me and a mate are thinking of almeria for 4days!

Mines great on trackdays and it seems to deal with road crud and the fact i rarely wash my bike admirably. And it looks better in blue and black than that gold crap.

There is a penske service centre somewhere in brum. We send ours back for servicing and damping mods all the time. Quality piece of kit. Never broke. It gets serviced in case, not because.

Won two championships.

These people? http://www.penskeshocks.co.uk/penske/contactus/

They designed and built the Penske dampers. Proper quaility kit.

Archived