Dry-break Couplings

tonk

HEL no longer sell these...

There was a seller on eBay selling these very cheaply, and with a bit of searching they can be found on the 'net for much, much less than Staublis and Goodridge. Much.

Here's the first one I found with a simple search. There's cheaper ones out there though, and many dealers are willing to do huge discounts for group buys :eusa_whistle:

http://pitstopusa.com/i-6690282-triple-x-aluminum-quick-disconnect-brake-line-fitting-3-an.html

I'm involved in a group buy for some with Ti fittings but I can't disclose the price I'm afraid as that deal is done.

These are basically the same as the HEL's without the HEL branding, and I believe they've actually come from the same place.

A friend has had them independantly pressure tested and they work perfectly.

No reason to pay for Staublis in my opinion.

EDIT: Forgot the bloody link...

1. Wonder why they make them in titanium as well, cos theyll be both heavier and more expensive than aluminium.

2. I can see using connectors that arent designed for it on something as important as front brakes can only end in tears.

3. And I wont fuck off, even though I am a nosey GENT! :-)

1. Wonder why they make them in titanium as well, cos theyll be both heavier and more expensive than aluminium.

2. I can see using connectors that arent designed for it on something as important as front brakes can only end in tears.

3. And I wont fuck off, even though I am a nosey GENT! :-)

The place I'm getting them from sell the ones with Ti fittings for the same price as alloy...

Ti is inherently stronger, so less chance of people breaking them as they tighten them to their own lines, and lots of people prefer the look of Ti over alloy. The weight difference is very small, but yes, heavier.

If they can offer them at the same price, why not?

If anybody gets hold of some G-Links can I have a look pls.

Ahhhhh Staubli's, god's own aid to brake maintenance. For added kudos fit one in the first feed from the master cylinder down to the line splitter and then 2 lower down. In Japan I've seen the even smaller male half's used as bleed nipples on a Sakurai Honda, just too trick.

On another note, it's worth knocking up some alloy blocks to Banjo onto the calipers, with a thread cut in the end to take the Staublis. Doing this stops the damn things rattling around in the breeze half way up the lines and means that you can tuck them out of the way from crash damage. The Brembo Moto GP jobbies are Staubli and mount to the caliper, Brembo branding I think. I have toyed with the idea of bulkhead mounts on the bottom yoke, but seeing as Phase One development has essentially stopped, might be a job to do on the TT Legends bike.

• 1 year later...

Just a question - am I right in thinking its possible for HEL etc to remove staubli's fitted already to a brake line and refit to another line? Thanks.

sexv, normally* the dry break has a an3 male fitting on either end. so if you change brand you just unscrew them off, and back on. fully reusable.

and further to mark/foggy's question upstairs, i have handled a g-link in an3 and i was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were. they look to be half aluminium, half titanium construction, a la staubli, and they have a very nice action.

DSC_00024181046_zps353b89da.jpg

*normally, as in all the ones iv ever seen.

Worth remembering that typically Staubli's use a metric fitting and most lines people like HEL supply (and their now discontinued dry breaks) are AN-3 fitting.

Also, to be fair Matt, the dry breaks you put me on to recently, feel just as nice in action to the G-Links I've played with, and look nicer I think. Plus are a shit load cheaper.

It did thanks again mate. They're by far the best set in feel and funnily enough the quickest to bled, unless that was just a coincidence...

I'm so impressed with them I'm going to replace my HEL rear QD with one of them and sell the HEL.

Matey had sold literally hundreds and had tons in stock so I've no reason not to believe that. Offered me a lifetime guarantee on them too. Couldn't be more satisfied with them.

Staubli's come in AN3 fitting, no problem. I'm fairly sure that Staubli make the G-link stuff too

Staubli's come in AN3 fitting, no problem. I'm fairly sure that Staubli make the G-link stuff too

Yep, they can be had in AN-3 but I spent the first half of a very frantic day recently phoning round Staubli suppliers trying to get a pair and the common answer was they stocked metric and AN-3 would have to be ordered.

I think it stems, and one place backed it up, from the direct port ones that bolt directly to calipers, M10 for Brembos for example and lots of Motorsport users keeping with the metric.

Anyhow, I don't see the point of buying Staubli's when there's others just as good for less than half price, unless you particularly want the name. I've only seen other make inline QD's though, not direct port ones. Only seen them from Staubli or Brembo, who Staubli make them for. I'm sure there are others, but I've only ever wanted inlines.

I'd never now not have them on my bike, they're excellent.

I'm fairly sure that Staubli make the G-link stuff too

That makes perfect sense, the ones I played with were very staubli-esque.

Yep, they can be had in AN-3 but I spent the first half of a very frantic day recently phoning round Staubli suppliers trying to get a pair and the common answer was they stocked metric and AN-3 would have to be ordered.

I think it stems, and one place backed it up, from the direct port ones that bolt directly to calipers, M10 for Brembos for example and lots of Motorsport users keeping with the metric.

This really suprises me. Most of 4 wheeled motorsport is still imperial, the only exception is Brembo. Car racing is afar bigger market for Staubli than bike racing

With regard to people buying Staubli over cheaper versions. They are a safety critical Item, would you by a set of Hu Flung Dung tyres for your bike rather than a pair Dunlops because they were half the price?

This really suprises me. Most of 4 wheeled motorsport is still imperial, the only exception is Brembo. Car racing is afar bigger market for Staubli than bike racing

With regard to people buying Staubli over cheaper versions. They are a safety critical Item, would you by a set of Hu Flung Dung tyres for your bike rather than a pair Dunlops because they were half the price?

I'm just going on my experience on that one day of what the Stuabli stockists had in stock, and what some of them told me.

As far as buying genuine Staubli's, I don't see a problem at all using cheaper ones. I can perfectly understand some people's reluctance though but when you think about it, there's no magic ingredient which makes them inherently safer to use, they're just manufactured metal with seals and if someone can manufacture to the same standards, then price and brand shouldn't be the deciding factor in my opinion.

Personally I think a lot of companies in a lot of industries rely on high pricing to affect buyers perception of quality and reliability. I think there's a marketing term for that strategy. Remember too you're paying to support their sponsorship and advertising budgets too. Same with Red Bull for example.

Like I said though, I can perfectly understand some people's perception of that but say Staubli had always charged a fiver for their QD's for argument's sake, would you feel the same? Or is it the £200 tag that makes you think they must be the only ones you'd use? Perhaps it's the fact that they are the prominent brand name in motorsport. Well I'm sure you well know that lots of companies outsource their manufacturing to 'unbranded' companies then have their name on them, but that doesn't seem to stop people using them.

It's all good with me though.

Has nobody had the idea of simply putting their thumb over the end of the tubes when breaking connections to stop the fluid coming out, and then quickly pushing them back in.

Cheaper than Staublis too........

I'm just going on my experience on that one day of what the Stuabli stockists had in stock, and what some of them told me.

As far as buying genuine Staubli's, I don't see a problem at all using cheaper ones. I can perfectly understand some people's reluctance though but when you think about it, there's no magic ingredient which makes them inherently safer to use, they're just manufactured metal with seals and if someone can manufacture to the same standards, then price and brand shouldn't be the deciding factor in my opinion.

Personally I think a lot of companies in a lot of industries rely on high pricing to affect buyers perception of quality and reliability. I think there's a marketing term for that strategy. Remember too you're paying to support their sponsorship and advertising budgets too. Same with Red Bull for example.

Like I said though, I can perfectly understand some people's perception of that but say Staubli had always charged a fiver for their QD's for argument's sake, would you feel the same? Or is it the £200 tag that makes you think they must be the only ones you'd use? Perhaps it's the fact that they are the prominent brand name in motorsport. Well I'm sure you well know that lots of companies outsource their manufacturing to 'unbranded' companies then have their name on them, but that doesn't seem to stop people using them.

It's all good with me though.

I don't disagree with any of that Mark. The problem is though if you've bought a dry break coupling from a random internet supplier, even worse ebay, you'll not know for sure if the seals are suitable for your use, and you've got no technical back up.

If I was to fit a non branded dry break to one of the race cars I run, and it fails, I've got no come back, and an unhappy driver, so for saving £200 I'm potentially going to lose out on £100,000s when the driver walks and takes his money elsewhere.

Different entirely if they are fitted for vanity, though had I not known a few people on here had used the none brand items without issue, I would use them on my bike as they are such a safety critical Item.

Understand all of that Dunc ;)

Funnily enough the original set I had on my bike were indeed 'eBay' ones, part of a group buy with some friends. One of the guy sent away a coupling for independant testing and it passed.

I used them for over a year on my bike then one day after the bike had been stood for a good while, walked into the workshop to find a puddle of fluid. They were swapped for some more from a reputable shop in the States and they lasted two days. That's when Matt kindly put me on to the ones he uses, which cost a good amount more, and come from a place I could go to, speak to the supplier in person and he convinced me of the number of units he's sold, the number he's had issues with (one, due to the customer trying to mangle a incorrect fitting on and buggering the thread on the QD) the period of time he's been selling them and offering a lifetime warranty on them.

I couldn't be happier with these latest ones, they feel identical to Staubli's, look like them in every way and if had to guess, may even be made by them.

I'm very happy using parts like these and understand the risks. Do my best to negate them but in life, most of what we do is a risk and I have my reasons for the ones which I do choose to take. I'm not saying everyone should be the same, and that's fine with me, but these are my reasons.

Archived