Gsxr 1000 K6 Servicing Tips

MonkeyJim

As the R1 is now sold and about to be taken away, I will soon be turning my spanners towards my newly acquired k6 'thou.

so I'm after a bit of help as I haven't got a workshop manual for it yet, just the suzuki owner's manual which is bereft of some key info such as:

what's the recommend torques for tightening the oil drain bolt?

Air filter - will be looking to give it a clean and/or replace - do people recommend an OE one or a K&N or similar aftermarket one? the stock downpipes will be staying, I might change the end can, haven't decided yet.

does fuel injection need to be drained down over the winter, like draining the float bowls on carbs? [i've never had fuel injection before, it's a whole new world...]

if anyone has any gems of wisdom on k5/k6 servicing please feel free to share your knowledge...

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I'm far from being the worlds biggest expert on fi, but I've never known an fi bike suffer with grotty fuel gumming up stuff, I guess the high pressure sorts that out. Of course, water condensing in the tank could be an issue but that'd be the case if you emptied the tank too I'd imagine. Just chuck in some fuel dryer stuff come spring time and have fun.

Great choice! (Nice upgrade from an R1 :icon_blackeye: )

Oil and filter is so easy on these - no need to remove fairing. :eusa_dance:

cheers. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Looking at it, you might be able to drop the oil out of it without removing the fairing, but changing the oil filter as well....? well, you must have midget hands and/or a trained army of ants or something.

thanks for all who have replied and originalracingsnake of this parish gets a special tickle mention for a copy of the manual. also cheers Kar for the link I've had a browse over t'weekend.

cheers. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Looking at it, you might be able to drop the oil out of it without removing the fairing, but changing the oil filter as well....? well, you must have midget hands and/or a trained army of ants or something.

thanks for all who have replied and originalracingsnake of this parish gets a special tickle mention for a copy of the manual. also cheers Kar for the link I've had a browse over t'weekend.

It's easy. Medium size water pump pliers to loosen filter and job jobbed (I wear XXL Alpinestars so not sure if they're midget or not).

Archived