Fuel Caps

Sean

Afternoon All,

Right to cut to the chase. Building my LC special and i'd like to put a flush style filler cap. This would involve cutting the recess from a spare yamaha tank. TZR125 in this case, see pic one. I'd also like to use a Harris Cap. The existing TZR/Every other yamaha cap in that style appear to breath through the cap it's self. My issue is if i fit the harris style cap how will air replace the fuel when the fuel is used up. Not the clearest way of putting it i know :pbtwerplr3:

DSC00250.jpg

fc-2.jpg

:tumbleweed:

I remember having this same worry on my old VFR when I got a posh cap for it, but it didn't need one in the end, there was some subtle way of getting it to breath built into the cap, I can't remember the details though. I'm sure Harris have thought about it though.

If you're going to the trouble of welding in a new mount for the cap why not fit a separate breather off a slingshot GSXR or even a Yamaha TZ to the front of the tank? Then get some clear tygon hose and route it behind the screen with a double back in it like a pukka race bike.

If you're going to the trouble of welding in a new mount for the cap why not fit a separate breather off a slingshot GSXR or even a Yamaha TZ to the front of the tank? Then get some clear tygon hose and route it behind the screen with a double back in it like a pukka race bike.

This would be the choice I make.

The Harris cap does allow the tank to breathe as it has a venting hole on the side with a length of thin tubing sticking out which is fed into the breathing hole built into the tank. Sounds as though your tank won't have this so I would follow Cagimaha's suggestion.

The Harris cap does allow the tank to breathe as it has a venting hole on the side with a length of thin tubing sticking out which is fed into the breathing hole built into the tank. Sounds as though your tank won't have this so I would follow Cagimaha's suggestion.

correct-a-mundo. the Harris caps have a built in breather.

perhaps I could add that I have a mint one, in black, currently for sale. Yamaha 3 bolt fixing.

see my thread in pinboard section 'R1 garage clearout'.

Archived