Cbr600rr 03-04 Hrc Loom Problem

El Gringo

Hi all,

Hope someone will be able to help, a mate of mine ha just put an HRC race loom and ECU on his 04 CBR6 and whilst it runs up it smokes like buggery on the over run and when you shut the throttle after revving it when stationary.

It's very fuelly smoke and whilst it gets better as it warms up it still alot, enough for people to be commenting on it being a suspected blow up at his last TD.

It's also very stuttery on the way up the revs around 4k rpm.

As far as we can tell it's plugged in correctly.

He's tried a new MAP sensor and tried the TPS in several positions.

Vague i know but i throw it open to the floor,

Also if any has an HRC loom manual/ set up manual.

Its also got a full akro race system.

Cheers

Chris

What colour is the smoke? Has the HRC ECU got a custom map loaded to it?

Are there any other bits plugged in? Such as PCIII?

Lastly was it new or second hand?

Hi Cibbers

Not sure about the map but i wouldn't imagine so, the smoke seems to vary between light blue and white. Part of me thought it could be burning oil, i've heard they're prone to eating rings.

Thing is its doing the same thing on two different engines, after the initial "oh that'll be knackered then" he changed to a spare motor but its still doing it.

No PCIII, just the HRC loom and ECU, it was second hand.

The other thing i spotted looking at it was some extra plugs, labelled 1,2 and 3-4, as in 1 on its own, 2 on its own and 3-4 on a single plug - 1 and 2 were 3pin triangles and 3-4 was a 4 pin square. All had blanking caps but look like they should be plugged in somewhere. 2 was under the back of the injectors and 1 and 3-4 were up the front with all the other unused plugs.

Any Ideas

Hows the engine(s) run on a stock loom?

Ah now there's the thing, it's never had a stock loom, it was a stolen recovered bike which came without and ignition/HISS so the first thing was to get an HRC loom so it didn't need the key/immobilser.

Another thing i'd forgotten to add was that the end of one of the plugs had gone awol and tatered the no4 piston crown on the first engine, but seeing as it's had new piston and rings all round and the compression was good after rebuild and then tried with a second engine and second set of injectors but with the same results it suggests something electronic.

I should also mention before the smoking started it ran sweet as a nut at the beginning of the track day and gradually got worse during the day.

Cheers

Chris

Is the engine is standard tune? Got a feeling you have to run HRC kit cams with the ECU... I may be talking utter bollocks though, just have a feeling about the 04-06 models...

Is the engine is standard tune? Got a feeling you have to run HRC kit cams with the ECU... I may be talking utter bollocks though, just have a feeling about the 04-06 models...

As far as i know both motors are/were standard so maybe that could be it.

i dont see the point in adding kit ecu's to stock bikes? it can tell the engine whatever it wants but at the end of the day it'll just max the injectors and the standard cams wont give enough lift etc. to cope with the changes in fuelling. its like adding an induction kit to a cage, there's no real difference in performance until you process the air coming in, process it once its in the engine and get it out as fast as possible. HRC stuff (ecu's anyway) is made for race bikes not stock motors and therein lies your problem i reckon.

The kit ecu has almost certainly been mapped to whatever bike it was on before. No idea if that's your only problem, but it won't help. You wouldn't stick a s/h power commander on without checking how its been mapped and expect it to work, same with a kit ecu.

The kit ecu has almost certainly been mapped to whatever bike it was on before. No idea if that's your only problem, but it won't help. You wouldn't stick a s/h power commander on without checking how its been mapped and expect it to work, same with a kit ecu.

Exactly this, that's why I asked if it was second hand initially

The HRC ECU's apparently are not fun to program fuel maps, and the CDROM and hook up lead are HORRENDOUSLY expensive - £500+ Plus you'll have to find someone who's able to program it.

I'd run a stock ECU on it - Get a US spec one as they don't run HISS system.

Oooo good call, i'll ask him if he knows anyone.

I think it could purely be down to running a race ecu on a stock engine but then again i know he's spoken to the guy from Padgetts about it and he reckoned it should be ok?

Very odd, anyway thank you all for your suggestions, i'll report back when i know a bit more

Cheers

Chris

Cant see any probs running a kit ecu on a stock engine, as long as its mapped for the stock engine and not some 130+bhp supersport lump.

Get it on a dyno somewhere with the relevant leads/experience.

Archived