Machining Titanium

bjohnson

I'm planning on making up some captive wheel spacers for my track bike over the winter, was planning on picking up a lump of titanium and turning them on my dads lathe.

Sounds simple enough but i know titanium is not the easiest to machine.

Any tips or experience? Is an alternative (and hence easier to machine) material a better solution; these are after all, only very small parts.

cheers

I'm planning on making up some captive wheel spacers for my track bike over the winter, was planning on picking up a lump of titanium and turning them on my dads lathe.

Any tips or experience? Is an alternative (and hence easier to machine) material a better solution; these are after all, only very small parts.

cheers

Aluminium would be better suited to this application, lighter, and easier to machine. Get them hard anodised if what them to look Gucci.

Titanium needs good sharp tooling and lots of coolant.

cheers

Relatively low spindle speeds, constant feed, carbide tooling, lots of coolant as already suggested. (You can set fire to the swarf.) It's definitely of dubious value over aluminium. I think from aluminium they'd be lighter, cheaper and easier to deal with. After anodising they'd be unlikely to corrode as well.

As above has said it's not the easiest, definitely agree with using aluminium. The other issue is drilling the stuff, that can get into all sorts of issues were it will gall onto the drill, then it's just poor surface finish and a knackered drill bit. Ideally you want to drill the right size first time, so you will need a lathe with big capacity to achieve what you want, and lots and lots of coolant. I can definitely confirm that titanium swarf is flamable, set the swarf on my lathe bed on fire earlier this year, just making some titanium fairing spacers, one spark combined with hot swarf and up it went. No damage, just more the ooh didn't know it would do that.

If you want to read more about it The Racing Motorcycle Volume 2 covers machining titanium in reasonable detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not let the tool dwell on the job at all either. You can take a good depth of cut with low spindle speed and a high feed per revolution. If drilling it, grind the drill with a shallow point as you would for other hard materials and ideally use tungsten carbide rather then HSS.

Archived