Tyre Repair Advice Needed

crumpy

So I discovered a screw stuck in my tyre.

IMAG0020.jpg

I set upon removing wheel and the screw from my tyre only to find t's a tiny little fecker and there is no leak.

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

I was going to remove the tyre, drill the hole and plug it all properly but now that I have discovered that there is no leak should I bother? I have poked around in the hole with a screw driver but there is definately no leak. It was pretty much completely submerged in the tyre when I first found it, more than in the first picture but it was at a slight angle. I'm tempted to just leave it as it is but my worry is that if the hole is very close to puncturing I may get a highspeed blow out or something.

The tyre is probably just reaching a third worn. Is there a way I can fill the hole with something just to make sure? would you just leave it as it is? or would you do a proper repair as if it was a leak?

any thoughts or advice appreciated. Thanks chaps. :thumbsup:

EDIT: here is a picture of the type of plug I was going to use...

IMAG0026.jpg

Because you can't sue me from the grave, i'd say leave it.

:thumbsup:

Haha!

Disclaimer: I take full responsibility for which ever path I choose and take all suggestions as the ramblings of random internet people rather than qualified professional advice.

Ok, that should clear you all. :lol:

I'd be tempted to drill through and fit a plug. At the moment you say there is no leak but you can't put the tyre under the stresses that it will be under whilst moving. The rubber will move around and expand/contract with heat/centrifugal force and other stuff I don't know about too. IMO if you plug it all bases are covered and you'll not end up stranded in the middle of nowhere should you leave it and it does go flat.

Just my 2p worth.

No disclaimer here, whatever you do it's your own fault :P

If it were me i would plug it just to be sure.The screw has now caused a weak point in your tyre,you dont want to be hooning it along and it decides to give way and blows out.The screw could have gone all the way through or it might not have, but you wont know unless you take it off. The rubber will seal itself when you extracted the screw..Me id plug it as you have the wheel out and the plug there.Cost of doing that to potential crash from faulty tyre?? Get it done. :thumbsup:

I've had this in a tyre before; my mender chap recommended against drilling and plugging the tyre, and instead fitted a small patch on the inside.

By drilling you'd be interfering with the carcass of the tyre, the very thing that gives it its strength. I'd blob a bit of the glue you'd have put the plug on with in the hole from the screw and keep your eye on it for tears etc.

Got a couple of options...

Replace for absolute price of mind

Leave it and keep an eye on the pressure

Plug it*

*Given the location of the hole I wouldn't plug it, it looks a bit too close to the edge of the tyre. Personally I really don't like plugging purely because you cannot be sure what you're doing to the carcass of the tyre. You'll find any tyre manufacturer wouldn't recommend a repair either, not to sell you a new one, because they can't guarantee the integrity of it. If it where mine, I'd replace it, if someone brought it to me to sort, I'd recommend a replacement. At the end of the day the tyres are the only thing keeping you upright - don't take them for granted.

I rode around on a plugged tyre on my rs125 for thousands of miles and never had a problem but I wouldn't feel confident doing it on the daytona so it was only going to be a temporary soloution either way. The problem is financial timing (I'm broke). I start a new job on monday but I've been out of work for about a month, meaning I'm out of pocket until I get paid which may be over a month.

I'm going to fill it with tyre bonding glue for now. I should have access to a tyre machine at some point next week so I'll pull it off, inspect it and plug it if there is any damage.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice lads, it really helps just to check I'm thinking straight :thumbsup:

Archived