Pro - Bolt Stainless Caliper Bolts, Any Good?

Marge

I'm doing a bit of housekeeping on a 600 SRAD i've just bought. The caliper bolts are a bit manky, has anyone tried the stainless pro-bolt ones off the ebay?

I put titanium on mine, it cost more but they are the best.

Stainless ones are just as good tho, but guaruntee probolt stuff rather than just stainless as you can ensure the quality.

My site is a pro-bolt dealer, pm me and I can get them direct from probolt for you.

I've got grade 5 Ti M10 x 1.25 x 30 bolts in stock for £9.99 a pair.

Bargain :thumbsup:

A4 stainless hasn't got the tensile strength of 8.8 HT steel and not as good as A2 for fasteners, just got more corrosion resistance really in marine/surgical applications.

You commonly find 8.8 and 10.9 HT for caliper fixing, I've seen about half a dozen "necked" and/or snapped 8.8 caliper bolts and there's no way I'd use a replacement weaker stainless one. Proper HT or Ti every time. Pro Bolt are the only main supplier I've seen that will sell Stainless caliper mounting bolts, the majority of others know what's what and wouldn't entertain them....apart from the fleabay chancers.

Bargain :thumbsup:

A4 stainless hasn't got the tensile strength of 8.8 HT steel and not as good as A2 for fasteners, just got more corrosion resistance really in marine/surgical applications.

You commonly find 8.8 and 10.9 HT for caliper fixing, I've seen about half a dozen "necked" and/or snapped 8.8 caliper bolts and there's no way I'd use a replacement weaker stainless one. Proper HT or Ti every time. Pro Bolt are the only main supplier I've seen that will sell Stainless caliper mounting bolts, the majority of others know what's what and wouldn't entertain them....apart from the fleabay chancers.

Unbreko's by any chance? I'm sure Probolt Stainless bolts are up to the job, perfectly possible to get stainless in grades that are equivilant or higher strength to that of a HT 8.8 bolt.

Unbreko's by any chance? I'm sure Probolt Stainless bolts are up to the job, perfectly possible to get stainless in grades that are equivilant or higher strength to that of a HT 8.8 bolt.

There are "exotic" stainless types that have increased HT levels....but ProBolt only advertise 316 or A4 ones which is bog standard spec, nothing special about them at all. If it was any better/stronger it wouldn't be 316/A4.

8.8 is the minimum you will see as an OE caliper bolt, the standard stainless types are a bit under this, plenty more use 10.9 as OE which the "standard" stainless types can't get near.

There are "exotic" stainless types that have increased HT levels....but ProBolt only advertise 316 or A4 ones which is bog standard spec, nothing special about them at all. If it was any better/stronger it wouldn't be 316/A4.

8.8 is the minimum you will see as an OE caliper bolt, the standard stainless types are a bit under this, plenty more use 10.9 as OE which the "standard" stainless types can't get near.

Fair point, I didn't realise they used 316 stainless. Do the maths on a typical M10x1 caliper bolt even made from 316 there's plenty of margin fo safety, my fag pack calcs say about 2.5 tonnes yeild point per bolt.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived