Re-taping A Wiring Loom

szrdave

I've just removed the alarm from my SZR and had to un-tape a section of loom, there was some damage further up too so I've now got about half of it to tape back together.

I bought some self-amalgamating tape from maplins earlier today, and while it should be a relatively simple job to wrap it back up, I'd like it to look tidy and be well sealed. So any tips from the pros?

There's a couple of options to think about:

* Heatshrink joints to connectors

* Adhesive cloth tape for wrapping small sections (proper loom tape like The stuff on this page)

* For the professional approach: Braided nylon sleeving, black heatshrink joints, yellow heatshrink labels on connector joints (need a Dymo Rhino label printer for this) bit over the top, but it's the proper way to do a complete loom, chuck in some military grade connectors too at bout £40 upwards a pop ;)

T

Thanks for the reply.

Luckily I don't need to replace any connectors, I've just cut out the connections added for the alarm and soldered the wires back together then added heat shrink.

Would you recommend the cloth tape over self-amalgamating tape like this for doing the whole loom? Or is the cloth tape just for smaller sections?

This is where I'm up to so far:

IMAG0468.jpg

For plug idents don't bother with a label printer - get yourself a fine point black permanent marker and clear heat shrink. Write the ident details onto the yellow heatshrink and shrink it down. The writing will shrink down with the tube and then you seal it with a layer of clear over the top.

I've only done it on a few connectors so far, doing it as I go along, also to be honest I had a normal cheapy Dymo label printer, using yellow tape - then clear heatshrink over the top like you've said , the Rhino Dymo's are far too expensive for just ID'ing a few connectors on a loom.

Grafoplast sleeves work well for cable indentification. I've used black spiral wrapping to cover wiring looms on bikes before as well. It's easier to get off if you want to have a play, doesn't leave an adhesive residue on the cable and provides adequate mechanical protection. It's dirt cheap as well and if you have a nice loom with no cable crossovers or bunching will look good as well.

Instead of nylon sleeving you can now get a braided sleeving that is heatshrinkable (is that a word ? ), used it at work and is great.

Looks just like the black nylon stuff but is more cloth type material prior to shrinking. Put the wires through it and shrink to fit (I think it's about 2:1 shrink ratio).

No need to go over the ends after cutting with a soldering iron like the nylon - even if covered in heatshrink nylon can still fray over time unless you use heatshrink with adhesive inside.

The only issue is you have to feed the wires through so unless you want to remove the wires/contacts from all the connectors it's a no no. You'll still need rubber boots (Y-shaped or T-shaped) for junctions.

If you're going to do a job then do it right................. ;)

Archived