Wheel Machining

alext

can anyone suggest somewhere that could take 1.5mm off each of the brake-disc mounting-faces on a wheel I have?

I need the discs brought in 1.5mm each side to make them fit with the calipers I have fitted.

Ta

ALex.

its FZR400 3tj forks and yokes, Triumph TT600 calipers and the wheel is an unknown FZR item - it was meant to be the correct one for a 3TJ but isnt. - I think its an early FZR600 wheel - the one with the large hub - its 3mm wider across the mounting faces than the correct wheel, which is rare and so commands excessive prices 2nd-hand.

meant to add, its all on my LC.

130mm down to 127mm (this mesurment is only an example)is this wot you mean?

1,you can have the wheel turned down to make the 127mm(bit extream)

2,you can have the calipers spaced(witch is wot most people do, including me)to bring them to the 127mm set up

3 have the disk rotter made to suite the set you need.to set the distance you need

4 have the yokes set made to your set up.as above to set the distances you need

would not start grinding ant thing just yet till you know wot you need.

if its the wheel its self that wont fit in then remove the wheel spacers and get a set made up to fit your set up,.

Even with a removable bed section, you'll need to find a pretty BIG lathe to fit a wheel in. It'd be much easier to mill the calipers/fork legs to move the calipers out to suit the disc spacing.

Porter_jamie you have a pm.

personally Id prefer to get the caliper mounting lugs machined down 1.5mm each - that still leaves a lot of material, and should be ok.

any suggestions on who to trust with that??

ta

Alex

What bearings have you got in the 600 wheel? That model 600 (3HE) had a 15mm front spindle and the 3TJ uses a 17mm one, surely you've had to mix and match bearings and spacers? Or you might have an early Fazer 600 front wheel, which is 3 x 17 and used the same bearings as the 3TJ, I think the early fazer yokes were quite a narrow pitch (185mm or so) which might explain the odd disc/caliper spacings. If you use a 3TJ front wheel (or a TZR125R front if you want to keep the 3x17" front- the hubs are the same width as the 3TJ) you shouldn't need to have anything machined off anything to get stuff to line up :)

Archived