Chain Adjustment

Inbred

Bike: K7 750

Problem: you spend ages getting the chain adjusted, wheels perfectly aligned (marks on swingarm are way out), and when you nip the wheel nut up to torque, and the chain goes ultra tight.

Tried: slackening the wheel nut just enough for adjustment, but it still happens when nipped up. This leads to endless slackening and tightening trying to find the sweet spot where the chain is adjusted and the wheels straight once the axle is torqued.

Am I missing something obvious here? I been told that swapping the axle round, putting the nut is on the brake side, is supposed to help but I cannot figure how this would achieve a different result.

Any advice gratefully received.

dont you have a locking nut on the adjusters?.

Yep, Gilles adjusters, AND I have put the OE bolts and locking nuts back as Gilles now advise you to do.

Could it be flex in the swingarm?

I have been told 'K model GSXR? They all do that'

You should have 20-30mm of free play on your model.

Adjust chain slack with the adjusters first THEN tighten the wheel nut up.Make sure you have the 20-30mm of free play on the longest run of the chain at the bottom, and wheel is in line..

i cant see why you would be getting this problem myself.

EDIT:- Forgot to say the longest run on the chain lol

Marisa's K7 had a tendency to do this when I first adjusted the chain. To get around this I have found that when tightening the nut, the solution is to set up the socket so that the handle is turning towards the front sprocket, rather than away (Tighten with handle past about the 4 o'clock position). This seems to push the wheel into the set chain adjusters, rather than away.

I used to have this problem with my k8. As Zak mentions, I found that turning the axle round, so that the nut was on the exhaust side of the bike, helped a lot. I’d still have to make sure there was a little bit of extra slack in the chain before tightening, but nowhere near as much as when the axle was the ‘correct’ way round.

Turning the axle round will have no ill effects whatsoever by the way.

I saw a tyre bloke put a screwdriver inbetween the chain and sprocket and turn the wheel to trap it (so the chain goes tight) on my bike while he did the nut up, I have since used this technique to good effect.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I have been adopting the slightly slack before tightening approach, but have been feeling it shouldn't have to be like this, I'm a perfectly capable grown man and this is a modern bike! This sort of thing was sorted years ago.

I will start with the free tips first, then eventualy buy the aftermarket part, because I like buying new bits.

TBH I am just glad its not just me :thumbsup:

Serves you right for buying Suzuki :P

Don't get me started on the finish, the car is hers, so bike is used all year round.

Luckily Banoffee knew what he was doing, and I get to justify buying titanium bolts for their corrosion resistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived