Trickle Charge Query

porkscratchin

Not actually fussed as not causing me any grief , however thought i should ask the experts out there on the offchance i may be causing damage?

I have an Oxford trickle charge which i have for the bike...the female part is hardwired to the battery as per the instructions and the charger is definately charging/maintaining the battery.

However, everytime i unplug it the 'FI' light comes on.

After a run and i switch her off and then back on the 'FI' light is gone.

The bike isn't behaving differently i.e it's not going into safe mode or anything but i don't want to be causing the bike any damage if i continue to use it.

Any ideas gang?

Does it throw the fi light up if you take it off when the engine's not running?

Perhaps it is detecting a sudden change in battery voltage and giving off an error? Once it has reset it's not worried about telling you any more?

This Del ^^^^

Try unplugging the trickle charger, then start the bike on your driveway (IF FI light comes om), turn it off then start it again. It WILL reset. As Spacemonkey has said its a voltage drop thats causing it,when you turn it off (unplug) the charge has gone,volts drop and ECU think oooppss.And FI light comes on.Nout to worry about IMO. :thumbsup:

EDIT:- Forgot to add IF before the FI lol

This Del ^^^^

Try unplugging the trickle charger, then start the bike on your driveway (IF FI light comes om), turn it off then start it again. It WILL reset. As Spacemonkey has said its a voltage drop thats causing it,when you turn it off (unplug) the charge has gone,volts drop and ECU think oooppss.And FI light comes on.Nout to worry about IMO. :thumbsup:

EDIT:- Forgot to add IF before the FI lol

When you say unplug do you mean literally or do you turn it off at the wall socket first?

I had one of those oximizer things from oxford once and it cooked my battery, I ended up getting a refund and a new battery from infinity mc's, turned out they'd had a lot of faulty ones. How old is the charger pork?

When you say unplug do you mean literally or do you turn it off at the wall socket first?

literally.

As long as the power is off to the trickle charger.But before you turn on the bike you should wait (IMO) 2-3 mins for the battery to settle (to stabilize). If you look at when you charge a flat battery you are supposed to let it stand for a while pref overnight.I would just do it to be safe.This "Could" in theory naff your battery quicker (again IMO).

A typical bike battery will lose around 1% of its charge per day,so if i was to use a trickle charger i would only do it once a month to keep it topped up.

If you are putting your bike away for the winter it is much better IMO to take the battery off the bike and store it indoors (not on concrete) where its warmer. Then charge the battery up a week before you will use it. :thumbsup:

If it's a modern, intelligent charger with test modes and ting then just whack it on and leave it. I only unplug mine when I'm using the bike.

When you switch the charger off, is the ignition off too? (I only ask because I can't see how the FI would come on with ignition off). If not, that would be my advice.

When it is parked, plug the charger in; when you're ready to take the bike out, unplug the charger and then turn ignition on.

I used an Optimate on my Hayabusa for years because the alarm/immobiliser would drain it over time. Sold it with the original battery (7 years old) and it was still going strong. (Cost me 2 grand in electricity to keep it topped up though). :eusa_dance:

It's an Oxford charger and is about 2 years old.

It has three settings (Car/bike/boat) and as i mentioned it is charging fine.

so, in a nutshell are we saying that i should plug it in with the ignition on initially then switch the ignition off and before using it reverse the procedure?

cheers for the help so far!

literally.

As long as the power is off to the trickle charger.But before you turn on the bike you should wait (IMO) 2-3 mins for the battery to settle (to stabilize). If you look at when you charge a flat battery you are supposed to let it stand for a while pref overnight.I would just do it to be safe.This "Could" in theory naff your battery quicker (again IMO).

A typical bike battery will lose around 1% of its charge per day,so if i was to use a trickle charger i would only do it once a month to keep it topped up.

If you are putting your bike away for the winter it is much better IMO to take the battery off the bike and store it indoors (not on concrete) where its warmer. Then charge the battery up a week before you will use it. :thumbsup:

Sorry BB, the reply was meant for Porky.

It's an Oxford charger and is about 2 years old.

It has three settings (Car/bike/boat) and as i mentioned it is charging fine.

so, in a nutshell are we saying that i should plug it in with the ignition on initially then switch the ignition off and before using it reverse the procedure?

cheers for the help so far!

whats the charger got to do with switching the bikes ignition on?...surely your charger is connected direct to the battery?.

• 2 months later...

Now i'm getting a bit annoyed....

Battery is flat.

charger indicates 'weak' so switched it all off, stuck it back on charge and it still goes to 'weak' and won't turn over the next day.

Battery cooked on a 2010 bike?

Charger causing the grief?

User error?

confused of Berkshire. :eusa_wall:

whats the charger got to do with switching the bikes ignition on?...surely your charger is connected direct to the battery?.

Yeah, I dont get this bit either, Ive never heard of turning on the bikes ignition while trickle charging the battery, wouldnt that just drain out what you are trying to put in?.

It's either partially discharged or knackered. Disconnect the battery from the bike and leave it charging for a full day (does your charger show the status with LEDs?). If it is still low, then either the battery or charger is gubbed.

A C-Tek charger is less than £30, so a lot cheaper than a new battery, if you wanted to rule out the charger.

What size is the battery? I have a brand new YTZ10S sitting on the workbench. Bought for my old blade and I never fitted it. If it fits you can have it for the price of the postage (assuming that I can send a battery with acid in it through the post?)

Here's a brilliant troubleshooter if you think that the fault is in the bikes charging system

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Thanks very much.

I'll have a play with it this week and see where i get with it!!!

Thanks again, if i need a new battery i shall see what size it is and if yours is the right size i shall be in touch! :icon_salut:

Righto,

Sorted.

Overnight charge on a stand alone battery charger (not the oxford trickle charger) and the battery is back to full health and everything works (EXCEPT I NOW HAVE A BLOODY FI LIGHT UP)

Clearly the trickle charger was buggered so that won't be going back on.

Thanks for the offer of the batt Zak.

Now it's google search time for 'how to get rid of my FI light'

Del

Didn't your last bike do this as a sign that it was possessed? Sell it quick before it tries to kill you! :P

Rich

Rich,

you have a point.

(damn)

Do you leave the charger on all the time, Del?

If so I'm not convinced it's a good idea. Batteries shouldn't need charging up continuously, trickle or otherwise.

I know for a fact they can dry the battery up.

A battery shouldn't lose significant charge form a few weeks of no use though.

I fitted a gel mat battery to my 748 18 months ago. The only time it has needed charging is when i fitted it to the bike and despite the bike having limited use, it always starts first time very time.

Unless there is an alarm fitted they should not need to be kept on a charger all the time. IMHO.

Archived