Project Cr(m)

CRMotard

After an exhaustive search the ebc disc is going in the bin. The bobbins are stuffed and are not replaceable on my model.

I was really keen to try out the Chinese discs because on a few local forums they have been rated very high by people who track ride and have metalworking and disc brake experience in there line of work.

So iv ordered a set of chinga discs haha

Getting closer with the cylinder but have decided to oring the top. Ordered a grooving tool for the lathe from the uk. Should have that in 2 weeks

Other good news, my shock has been fully rebuilt with new shims and spring. Will be fitting that tonight hopefully!

photo13.jpg

looks good!, re shimmed and re sprung

color matched to the frame nicely!

thanks to DMCC for his great work!

just waiting on new bush for the top shock mount... should be here on tuesday

really happy with the new disc...

c6872842.jpg

just still waiting on the lathe tooling to turn up (cylinder o'ringing) and the shock top bush and then where ready to rock and roll

big milestone today... been waiting for this day for a while

Cylinder install time!

e932703b.jpg

d6f1ca82.jpg

061e74d2.jpg

fe138ebb.jpg

BDC right at base of transfer ports

f76d853a.jpg

exh port covered by skirt at TDC

568d3cb0.jpg

ktm piston and yz490 rod comes to the deck at TDC

c8192ae8.jpg

Just gota drop my base gasket off at a fab shop and get a 5mm spacer made on the plasma cutter... Pulled a few strings do should only set me back a few beers :)

Starting to get pissed off with the parts shop... 3 days expected wait for a 4 dollar shock bush has turned into 3 weeks... Apparently it's landed in Australia and is now in transit ;)

It's a bit late now but have you looked at motosport for the oem parts you needed? They are quite cheap and fast, just sometimes you have to have a buddy in the states send it on for you.

yeah, I shopped around and got all the little OEM bits from BikeBandit in the states... was about half the price of the Australian prices and my mate has a mail forwarding box :)

The CRM OEM bits I have to get from australia because the CRM was only released in Australia, the UK and Japan.

had a little bit more progress today, installed the piston and cylinder with a temporary spacer, have to wait till next week to get the proper 5mm spacer plate plasma cut.

-Just gota get some feeler guages so make sure the ring gap is right,

-and need to buy some 10x1.25 threaded bar or bolts tommorow so that I can make some longer studs for the raised cylinder :)

-but best of all, the 2005 CR250 pipe fits up to the CRM chassis very nicely, without any fowling issues on the engine frame or rear shock... even the CRM rubber exh mounts will work nicely.

going down to the bike shop tomorrow to pick up my shock bush :) thank fuk its here

d6952eee.jpg

Finally, we've got a local Agip dealer who has a permanent shop front!

THANKYOU APRILIA MELBOURNE CITY STORE!!!!

I've stocked up on a few bottles of the Castor/Synthetic oil and their 70W-90 gear-synth oil performs well (friction drag) and is durable.

39d7eefa.jpg

Spacer Plate turned up!

fccc3666.jpg

and installed

83ce4310.jpg

Looking at getting Lozza to do me a 1.3mm squish and a 22 or 23cc head.

things to do this weekend

-Bolt up the exhaust

-Get the servo motor functioning

-Install a 13 degree flat curve on the ignition for first start up and piston heat cycling

-set the PV curve

then twiddle my thumbs untill head turns up

Looking good mate. That barrel looks like its had a hard life, are they known for cracking? 2 out of the 3 top ends I have for my Rotax 257 have had to be welded, but its a known problem on them.

Looking good mate. That barrel looks like its had a hard life, are they known for cracking? 2 out of the 3 top ends I have for my Rotax 257 have had to be welded, but its a known problem on them.

nah, its pretty much brand new.

Lozza welded up the rear stud holes when we offset them for the CRM pattern, and had to add some extra meat.

one day when Iv got some more time Ill die grind it back to look a bit nicer, but right now I just want to get her running :)

• 2 weeks later...

thats the plan ;)

might hit up that local kart track to do some heat cycling in the next few weeks too... for $30 bucks a day it sure is a safer/more legal way to heat cycle a race bike engine.

head turned up

85743117.jpg

ad20481a.jpg

I managed to drop a head dowel down into the coolant jacket GRRR

but a trusty zip tie and butchered fridge magnet came to the rescue

86aff379.jpg

installed with a home made copper head gasket

compression feels really strong, can barely kick it over.

c3e88286.jpg

plumbed

d8e9bcd1.jpg

but unfortunately I will have to undo all of the work Iv done tomorrow morning (asked for half a day off).

Iv got two stripped threads in the top of the cylinder. Im going to have to tap them out to M10.

then re-install the cylinder/exhaust/radiators/plumbing/head.

then finally fill her with fuel/oil and kick her to life tomorrow arvo

I bet it smells as good as it looks. Fantastic.

Yeah, for some reason my charging system died so I rigged up a couple torch batteries.

Turned to be a blown fuse so I'll just put a bigger one in tommorrow and then take it out the road for some proper testing.

bahhh, still having servo motor dramas.

Im thinking that there is a problem with the ignition as the servo is being spastic.

turn the ignition on once and the servo spins to 2300mV (the max value on the curve, for servo cleaning),

turn the ignition on a second time and the servo spins back to 400mV which is the min value on my curve

start the bike up and it doesnt move at all.

So Iv contacted ignitech to see if they have a solution or can repair the ignition if its damaged.

• 2 weeks later...

some testing clips from the weekend.

went pretty well, and top end is very strong

however the mid range is lacking big time due to the PV servo not working and the needle clip being too low making it too rich.

but other than that it was very very fun!

Ill get the jetting a bit closer, get the PV working then head out for one more test like this.

then Ill dyno tune the bike, and then it'l be race ready :)

the chicks dug it haha (my missus and her friend)

294911_3461029480685_1119362977_3448831_1602243811_n.jpg

and then I offered I offered a sacrifice to the two stroke gods

551737_3461031960747_1119362977_3448835_998846740_n.jpg

The must have been because I reckon I cracked the Ton, on the bike today and felt pretty safe in my trusty "Kmart $8 Slip-ons" haha

but thats what happens when you drive 30 minutes and realise when you get there that your boots arnt in the car.

Archived