Project Cr(m)

CRMotard

I took mine for its yearly test on Thursday, fork seal popped on the way home, doh! Thankfully, they are the easiest forks on the planet to rebuild lol

Here is my most recent and latest AR, its an early one and in typical condition. plans this winter are a full strip and rebuild, lots of new OE parts and with new motard wheels to go on just keep it as a back road weapon.

I like the AR just for styling, the Mk3 is a simpler and better bike in a couple of ways.

Did a short spell on a RMX which kinda summed up suzuki's for me, prefer the Honda by far.

Seems a few of us on here have them

myar.jpg

Here is my most recent and latest AR, its an early one and in typical condition. plans this winter are a full strip and rebuild, lots of new OE parts and with new motard wheels to go on just keep it as a back road weapon.

I like the AR just for styling, the Mk3 is a simpler and better bike in a couple of ways.

Did a short spell on a RMX which kinda summed up suzuki's for me, prefer the Honda by far.

Seems a few of us on here have them

myar.jpg

Same as mine, cept mine has more war damage than yours lol

thay are some nice n tidy CRMs fellas

they are all certainly eye catching in a 90's retro way...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CRMotard,

Hi ,Yep deffo agree there.

Always liked a 2T. Gotten a diesel aswell, But still enjoy when they come `on the pipe`

(turns around & smell the oil)...

Or is that just me?

• 2 weeks later...

charging system works, and the ignition pickups are pulsing perfectly!

just need to head down to the supermarket tonight to grab 2x 6V torch batteries so that I can turn the ignition on

(I cant turn it over fast enough by hand to produce 12 volts and the drill attachment hasnt turned up in the post yet.)

then I can test for spark and test the servo motor.

pretty happy so far because it works first try! (after 2T institute made some corrects or me haha)

woo.. shes connected!

I just had to changed the comms setting to auto so that it found the correct setting by itself!

TPS works

RPM sensor (pickup) works

Servo needs a few wires swittched around but shouldnt be too hard

and it has spark

so theres not much more work to be done to get the ignition working, I just need to hook it up with a timing light to set the base advance and then upload the maps onto the ignition.

ignitech.png

by the way are there any computer nerds out there who can help me overcome a problem in the above image... my computers window size is too small so I cant see the whole program (particularly the bottom). moving the start bar to the side of screen helped a little but I need to be able to see the whole thing as there are important check boxes hidden!

i'm not a PC geek, but have you tried pressng the 'ctrl' key whilst scrolling up and down using the wheel on the mouse? this should vary the size of the image on your screen...

cheers, but cant zoom out...

I think I worked it out...

its due to the screen size of my netbook (the ignitech/cable is only compatible with windows 7)

on my full size windows vista laptop it displays fine

so I need to make adjustments to the ignition on my laptop and then transfer it to my netbook... what a pain in the arse.

cheers, Ill give that a try

got the servo motor working! turned out I had it wired correctly the first time... I just hadnt programmed properly because the sofware didnt match the ignition model perfectly :)

almost finished!

Very nice,just picked up a CRM250 today which seems to be running good but in need of a little attention,to paint and graphics.

Need a set of graphics and must admit the ones you have there really set it off,and the brake conversion as well.................................oh bollocks where's my wallet

cheers, the cosmetic mods are definitely worth doing and wont break the bank...

a set of custom designed graphics from D and D graphics and a seat cover will set you back less than a hundred quid and completely change the look of the bike. I just fitted the seat cover then, lovin it!

PA250418.jpg

not sure exactly, when ever my top end is finished being modified would be the correct answer... could be a few days or could be a couple of weeks.

so Iv just been getting everything else finished so that when my cylinder turns up I can virtually bolt it down and kick her over :)

• 2 weeks later...

The bike is finally a proper roller

PB030504.jpg

PB030505.jpg

PB030506.jpg

PB030507.jpg

Machined the brake disc down to fit, modified to rear caliper bracket, offset the disc, got the whole rear wheel sorted.

PB030509.jpg

PB030508.jpg

made a strut to take the shocks place while its getting rebuilt

PB030510.jpg

modified the frame to fit the CRF master cylinder

PB030511.jpg

made some brackets for the top secret attachments.... :P

and then took her for a ride.... well by ride I mean there was a really big hill that I pushed it down... then gathered enough speed to pull a small endo

Big thanks to John Stafford for his help

• 2 weeks later...

just for some fun while waiting for the cylinder, head and shock to come back I thought Id install an O2 sensor into the baffle cone as a kit came up for sale on the forums...

I couldnt help myself, I was bored and it was too cheap to knock back.

Its a 5 wire, wide band system (heated element), with a temp/humidity calibration unit and a two stroke bung addaptor

It moves the tip of the sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust which minimises exposure to oil, the O2 sensor will also be mounted in the near vertical position to put gravity on my side for removing oil build up.

at this point Im considering installing it in the baffle cone as this will both be hidden and protected from crash damage, its also where RD350 owners have successfully installed theirs.

302918_2739743369845_1145227171_33270375_1097350763_n.jpg

391347_2739743849857_1145227171_33270377_853201016_n.jpg

$(KGrHqUOKnIE535F(Y2dBOsG2iseLg~~60_1.JPG

379612_2739792211066_1145227171_33270402_1495629128_n.jpg

got the 02 sensor wired in today... looks to be a good set up.

I wired the calibration button into my quick action throttle as it has a N/O thumb switch in it :)

only issue now is that Im getting an error 9 code from the LED light.

that made me panic until I realized that error 9 is just a low battery warning (Im powering the whole bike with two 6v torch batteries)

so that should all be fine and good once the bike is running :)

PB170522.jpg

PB170523.jpg

full steam ahead!

Just been looking through your pics again, and noticed your rectifier has lost a fin. I'm having my crm's frame powder coated at the moment, so its all in bits, and my rectifier has lost exactly the same fin and the break looks almost exactly the same as yours lol.

Good progress though mate, still can't wait to see it fired up :eusa_dance:

haha, yeah it was fine untill a few weeks ago... was pushing the bike around the shed with the rectifyer loose... it must have got caught in the wheel !

still should work fine yes?

and heres the loom finished

PB190528.jpg

Im fianlly finished uni for the year,

So Im loving how much extra spare time you have to spend in the shed, even when working full time Monday-Friday!

been thinking of fitting a air fuel sensor on my Cr500 so i get jetting spot on

how much was your setup ?

Also dont have the wires in the loom any longer than they need to be the loop to that fuse it too much.

If possible use braiding to sheath wires as duct tape traps moisture.

Looking good tho :D

set up was $120 (AU) inc postage (second hand from mate on forums)

it will most likely not be as good as an EGT, but I think this with and EGT will be perfect once I sort it out.

• 4 weeks later...

few little updates, Iv been a bit lazy lately...

just need to get the cylinder and head done, then shes ready to fire up.

refurbed the airbox with black vinyl as it looked horible... all scratched up and faded

PB290537.jpg

added an oil holes to the ktm250SX piston

PB290532.jpg

2T o2 sensor bung turned up

PC030004.jpg

made a catch can

PC050001.jpg

short foldable levers

photo4.jpg

and got the fuel lines sorted out with a quick coupling and filter :)

• 3 weeks later...

gearing is perfectly set up for the long circuits such as Phillip island (long straight half of which is slightly downhill)

will need some larger rear sprockets for the smaller tracks but this will do for now :)

should be good for just under 200kmh...

decided to remove my gearing tables from this post as it might give my competitors too much info :P

Also got the catch can finished last nite.

photo7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

havnt posted in a while

-cylinder is 99% done, just needs posting back to me... transfers look great... big thanks to lozza for his machine work and teaching me how to get the transfers right

-shock should be rebuilt early this week and I'll hopefully have it installed on the weekend

-I think all the issues with the difference in height between the stock rod/piston and the YZrod/KTM piston have been solved. After remeasuring both I have found the difference to be 0.7mm which is great. and because the difference is so little I will be able to utilise the stock pipe for now :)

I am potentially going to book the bike in for a trackday a Broadford raceway in mid/late march which will be great fun.

things to do before then

-install the shock

-install the cylinder and head

-plumb the coolant lines

-install the o2 sensor bung

-set the base advance

-set ignition/pv curves

-jetting

-double check all nut/bolts

-replace rear disc bots with high tensile

All should be able to be tackled within a single week I reckon, so that the bike can run OK, but getting it dialed in perfectly will take time :)

Archived