Design A Racing Motorbike

porter_jamie

Yes,

I would want to keep the engine fairly stock, just a lightweight pipe and PC. And the chassis a bit taller more a la moto2 than 250GP.

I really like the 95racer, lovely design/concept..

Yes,

I would want to keep the engine fairly stock, just a lightweight pipe and PC. And the chassis a bit taller more a la moto2 than 250GP.

I really like the 95racer, lovely design/concept..

Another one could be built... :eusa_whistle:

You can get an easy 80 bhp from an er-6 engine without having to touch the bottom end, and without seriously affecting reliability. Getting the "power pack" below 60 kg is difficult (i.e. costly), though.

i think what the world needs is a light (130kg) good handling bike that runs current tyre sizes (17" 120 and 180) and only has 75 extremely reliable bhp, and electric start.

modern 600 running gear, and a nice light cheap and readily available engine

The only engine for this imho would be a SXV550 (I know I sound like a broken record), my mates race bike weighed 117kg, would of been 2-3kg lighter with Marchesini rims rather than Talon/ excel spoked wheels. Frame is heavy aswell. 110kg should be easy with a gound up build.

Still think a Moto2 contender is the way to go.

@3upracing, That really is stunning, clearly a huge amount of effort gone into that. :icon_salut:

The only engine for this imho would be a SXV550 (I know I sound like a broken record), my mates race bike weighed 117kg, would of been 2-3kg lighter with Marchesini rims rather than Talon/ excel spoked wheels. Frame is heavy aswell. 110kg should be easy with a gound up build.

Still think a Moto contender is the way to go.

@3upracing, That really is stunning, clearly a huge amount of effort gone into that. :icon_salut:

I'm going to sound like a broken record too, when I say - Thunderbikes.

Steve parrotts Tigcraft SV700 is truly beautiful, and with a more raw motor like the SXV would be unbelievable.

Purely from a bit of a lingering Kawasaki addiction, I'd like to see what a super light moto 2 style racing chassis wrapped around a bored and heavily tweaked ER6 moto could do, as apparently you can get an even better power/torque curve from the kwak motor than the SV.

Thats lottery win territory though.

i think what the world needs is a light (130kg) good handling bike that runs current tyre sizes (17" 120 and 180) and only has 75 extremely reliable bhp, and electric start.

modern 600 running gear, and a nice light cheap and readily available engine

^^^Oh yes^^^

I found a moto2 engine scan but it's an .STP file. Anyone know what app will open that on a mac ?

I think there used to be some singles engine details on Mr Burges'site but I can't find them anymore.

Purely from a bit of a lingering Kawasaki addiction, I'd like to see what a super light moto 2 style racing chassis wrapped around a bored and heavily tweaked ER6 motor could do, as apparently you can get an even better power/torque curve from the kwak motor than the SV.

Thats lottery win territory though.

not really, might just be a bit of a headache doing all the research, for example, if you look at the vfr 750 engine, the upgrade would be one of the cbr range of pistons, which would only leave the boring how heavily does the engine need to be tweeked? cant see this as the kind of bike you'd want to be building an engine or 2 per race/practice, so it might be a case of consistent top 5 finishes and some good reliability, theres enough peeps here that could do cnc'd light weight engine casings or even carbon parts easy enough, i think the major point of something like this is getting the weight down to bring up the power to weight figures, but then even standard parts can be lightened.

i think the steel frame is deffo a good idea, means it can be easily tweeked, repaired, completely changed. also adjustablity is a major factor, everything needs to be adjustable, just means that you can always be that little bit closer to the ideal and potentially that much closer to a podium finish. you've got to be in something like this for the long game, not what your going to achieve this year but in following years, i.e. top 5 places means that people will notice you, sponsors will be interested, funding will improve, bike will improve, team will improve, finishes will improve, then again build on that the following year, its the snowball effect but on a shallow slope, it takes a while to build speed but it does build.

snip

i.e. top 5 places means that people will notice you, sponsors will be interested, funding will improve, bike will improve, team will improve, finishes will improve, snip

well, i'll believe that when i see it!!

just for giggles i'm going to build a track focussed bike from my old mito project, the frame has gone so i can build a steel trellis one, should look a little like a mini ducati (hopefully) the idea is to use the geometry from something like a 748 with some adjustable bits and bobs for rake and trail at the front and a few bits that can be tweeked at the rear too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 1, 2... is this thing still on?

Is this still a theoretical exercise or is it / could it become a reality?

Or will nothing ever get sorted because no one seems to be able to agree on the power plant?

er, not done anything at all. been distracted by the new workshop really.

i expect my brother and i will do another bike, and it will probably be a supermono, using 600 bits.

ps heds - are you one of the arty types, and also into cycling. My missus wanted a santa cruz bike, but to change the logo to say santapawz with a (dog) paw style logo on the down tube instead of the stylised person on a bike. Reckon you could do us one? for some money?

J

I'm still at it gathering parts, but it seems i need some help with the design as although i know what i want I'm no where near capable of putting pen or indeed pencil to paper to visualize it, I'm more the build it the way i see it in my minds eye kinda guy. anyone want to help?

I have absolutely no previous engineering skills (other than DIY mechanics) but I can draw a bit and have Potatoshopping skills, so if that's of any use?

Other than that, does that mean we're going to have multiple ground up race bike builds to look forward to?

not from me until i'm at a point of actually having something worth doing and all (most of) the parts to get it done. not going to be a quick build this one.

Archived