Design A Racing Motorbike

porter_jamie

Very nice Mr 3up. All your own work?

ive got a copy of the latest (last he designed) Hossack front end. The geometry for he britte was slightly different but I dont think there is anything wrong with the Hossack design at all. Carbon is definately the way to go with the front suspension components IMHO.

is it legal?

good effort btw! have you found a definitive set of rules, and did you get a 3D package model of the motor?

It is legal for the Spanish Moto2 championship. And, yes, all my own work.

Jamie, the Regs are buried in the main MotoGP regs here;

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/6510002_GP_Regulations-Reglements_GP_7.pdf

Warning this is a big file in PDF format.

Kroppers had a link for a Moto2 specific set of regs but I think that link's dead.

3upracing, could we see some more of your creation please.

Well, 'bout time someone floated this idea. Only other class that might have merit is Open Class World Endurance. Almost gauranteed podium every time out if the bike doesn't break.

I'll be watching this with interest, could be tempted to put a lot of time into this.

3up - nice and neat way of doing the back end of the frame.

did you make the swingarm? very nice. what material/filler gauge and heat treat? :eusa_whistle:

Foggy - what are the rules for open class endurance?

there you go we should have a pb track bike made by the forum,not out of parts but ,but made out of raw material,ill do all the welding :icon_salut:

what would you make the swinging arm out of sie? and can you get it heat treated?

Quick look in my referance book suggests 7020 is good for swinging arms and frames but is difficult to get hold of. The suggested filler rods are 5356 or 5556. I have the heat treatment guides for this as well.

words out of my mouth...well said ,we can get hold of the spec ali but as iv said in the past it is dear..we were only talking about the heat treatment to night,we are going to make an oven to do it.

Open Class Endurance is pretty much anything goes. No fully enclosed bodywork, 6 gears max, 2 wheels, engine over 636cc or equivalent rotary, no upper limit for capacity, any number of cylinders. No homologation essentially.

Remember, Endurance is where all of the lesssons for 4-stroke bike development and chassis design used to take place.

Benefit here is that you get to play with a lot of different riders, so loads of input and less dead ends vis-a-vis making is handle.

Costs are a bit steep though.

Btw I've got good contacts at Dunlop, which could be good for a Moto-2 project. I've also got an idea for where to build and co-ordinate the project from :eusa_whistle:

3up - nice and neat way of doing the back end of the frame.

did you make the swingarm? very nice. what material/filler gauge and heat treat? :eusa_whistle:

Foggy - what are the rules for open class endurance?

Frame is T45. Swinging arm is 5083, no heat treatment necessary. I've purposely avoided any heat treatments of chassis components, as it just delays making new ones when you need to get spares or new variations to the track for testing. 5083 is underutilised IMO. It's easy to get hold off, except you can't get extrusions, easy to weld, and doesn't need any corrosion protection. It's quite tough to form and bend, though!

Frame has adjustable yokes (without requiring dissambly), swinging arm pivots, and engine mounts. Here is a rendered photo of what the body work would have looked like. However, an R6 bodywork was the cheaper and quicker solution. Still would like to finish the bodywork, though. Body work design was done by someone else, though, specifically for this project.

sketch2%20email.jpg

And here a photoshop image with a "certain" rider grafted onto it:

sketch2%20in%20action%20email.jpg

This is a far as I got before the switch to off-the-shelf bodywork due to cost reasons:

P1000377-1.jpg

where does the exhaust go?

I couldn't find the "place exhaust" button in Photoshop.

It would be fairly conventional "up the side", either left or right side. The exhaust dimensions were specified in detail by Honda and that's what you'd build, in the first instance at least.

cant offer anything overly technical but i am fairly adept with spannering, how much of this was brought on by a program that was on discovery turbo recently i wonder (only cos i was thinking the same bloody thing)

Open Class Endurance is pretty much anything goes. No fully enclosed bodywork, 6 gears max, 2 wheels, engine over 636cc or equivalent rotary, no upper limit for capacity, any number of cylinders. No homologation essentially.

Remember, Endurance is where all of the lesssons for 4-stroke bike development and chassis design used to take place.

Benefit here is that you get to play with a lot of different riders, so loads of input and less dead ends vis-a-vis making is handle.

Costs are a bit steep though.

Btw I've got good contacts at Dunlop, which could be good for a Moto-2 project. I've also got an idea for where to build and co-ordinate the project from :eusa_whistle:

THIS!!!! Norton Power! the rotary is small enough so that the same frame could fit the required CBR6 engine for moto2

A little off topic and thinking out loud, but if a batch of steel trellis frames were to be made using FZR 3TJ* geometry to take the 4JH 600 engine, I dare say you'd be able to shift all of them pretty quickly. Moto2 on a budget** is a very good seam to mine.

* or the equivalent ZXR/CBR/GSXR400 and 600 engine to suit.

** relatively speaking.

i think what the world needs is a light (130kg) good handling bike that runs current tyre sizes (17" 120 and 180) and only has 75 extremely reliable bhp, and electric start.

modern 600 running gear, and a nice light cheap and readily available engine

can you have forced induction in endurance?

Far a I know yes, last one I remember running anywhere was Andy Notman on a Turbo CBR600 at Macau, so should be alright. Let's go Supercharged CBR600 in a Moto 2 chassis, best of both worlds as we kill 2 championships with one stone.

i think what the world needs is a light (130kg) good handling bike that runs current tyre sizes (17" 120 and 180) and only has 75 extremely reliable bhp, and electric start.

Have you seen the size of Moto 2 tyres, 200 section rears 130 fronts. On the subject of tyres can anybody strighten me out on allocations. Is it control tyres with a couple of compounds available to all teams or do Dunlop make loads of different constructions and compounds and the teams nominate a number for the meeting? If it's the former I can see problems/conundrums in FFE performance.

+10000000001,

Sat in a briefing today and doodled away, sketched up my personal "perfect" bike; 120kg semidry, 70-80bhp, 1350-60mm wheelbase and 120/160 tyres (maybe 180 in the rear). NC35 fairings and a custom seat unit.

I would use a CBR6 swinger and suspension design. R6 forks and brakes. ER-6 engine and a custom frame.

To get down to 110-120kg, frame should weigh 5-7kg and powerpack max 55-60kg (that is engine, injection, airbox, exhaust and radiator system)

If anyone are going to build a trackbike to that spec, i'm all ears..

Ronni

Archived