R1 Interchangeability

lorenzo

I may have just bought a fully cunted R1, an 06 5VY model. It's going to need a front wheel, fullt front fairing, clocks and more or less all the brackets that hold the fairings on. Just wondering like, how different are the fairings on the later bike, the 07-08 one? Obviously, they're slightly different shape, plus the engine's different etc, but does anybody know if the later fairing and/or tail will swap? What about the wheels? Clocks? Anything?

If I where you I'd be straight on the blower to Mark/Foggy to see what toys/spares they have knocking around at Phase One....

Not sure about interchangeability though. If you're struggling to find anything and you need to buy new, givvus a shout and I'll sort it out for you trade buddy. ;)

Lovely, thanks Tom. I've a feeling all the little bits are going to be the trickiest to find. I think I've got a decent enough lead on the plastics and I'm wondering if I even need clocks*?

*after seeing how much they go for 2nd hand...

I'm not even that fussed about road legal to be honest with you Josh, but yes, I'm not interested in a standard bike.

I think the later panels can 'be made' to fit with a little adjustment(or brute force and ignorance).

I'm sure I've seen a 5vy R1 in a mag somewhere with a later fairing on it :eusa_think:

There's already been a substantial bit of brute force applied to the bike via its immediate surroundings, I think I'm going to be getting a fair few brackets made up for it anyhow, so it's good to know that they'll sort of fit.

Think the wheels go straight in, discs as well. Clock bracket is different so may need swapping to the later one for bodywork to fit, but that should let you use later lights if you need them. Rest of the fairing mounts should be easy to fabricate. Probably got a Spondon subframe that would fit as the standard ones don't crash well if it's that bad. Could probably sort some rearsets or most of a set. Need to ask me when I'm in Somerset about clocks, may have a scruffy set, but from memory the bike will run alright with either set of clocks even though they're active. Probably know some more shit, tired just now. Won't be able to help until after Le Mans though. PM me at some point and I'll give U my mobby.

Wheels from later ones fit but watch disc sizes , of the top of my head , 4 pots run 320 mm , 6 pots run 310 mm , if yours are 4 pot then fz1 discs fit and are sometimes a bit cheaper ( I got a 2000 mile old pair for my wets for £47 , kerfuckingching ! ). pm me your exact model code ( white sticker under seat summat like 5vy7 060 b ) and I'll sort you the exact parts pdf for you

Cheers fellers, this is just the into I'm after. I've got discs which are hopefully ok, but the rim of the front has a good sized ding in it. I've yet to collect the bike (tuesday) so i'll know a bit more about what it does and doesn't need by next week. Thanks once again.

Hmm, that's also pretty interesting to know. Once I've got the bike here I'll stick a few photos up, which hopefully will make the ones from the auction look a bit gloomy, and you'll be able to see that it is in fact in perfectly good condition....

what I can see of the front wheel looks like it may be fixable by a certain Dave East fella :icon_salut:

I got my (quite badly)dinged front wheel repaired by Hagon,with a quick turnaround as well.

Yep, I know there's place out there you can sort things out, I guess it's a case of waiting until it turns up and seeing what can be done with it. I'd be very suprised if the forks can't be straightened as it's so slight but the wheel looks to have had a hard time of it.

Wouldn't worry too much about clock brackets. You might be better off fitting a Koso dash or a race style digital jobberoony.

Brackets can be made to make anything fit. Then you truly make it your own and in a budget too.

pm me your exact model code ( white sticker under seat summat like 5vy7 060 b ) and I'll sort you the exact parts pdf for you

OK, according to the sticker on the little X shaped bit under the seat it's 5VYH 010 B:

314351_10150274200130826_661370825_8266039_133584581_n.jpg

Does that mark it out as being an american model, I think it is, or are there other countries that have reflectors on the bottom of the forks?

OK, according to the sticker on the little X shaped bit under the seat it's 5VYH 010 B:

Does that mark it out as being an american model, I think it is, or are there other countries that have reflectors on the bottom of the forks?

There is no record of it on the Yamaha uk system , so it must be the one that was produced for the gay pride march in Brazil , these were only 2 speed and 17 hp , HTH

or you could follow this link

http://www.incolmotos-yamaha.com.co/site/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=XiqaJ%2FUaxh4%3D&tabid=348

Thanks for that Nige. In some ways though, it asks as many questions as it answers. For example, the clutch cover on mine is cracked at the bottom and is leaking, so I want a new one. The two diagrams, the one you sent me for the UK one, and this US one, they've got a different number for the cover. A squizz on ebay shows two designs for an 04-06 model, both 5vy etc. The one like mine (which there's only 1 of on UK ebay) has 5 flat bits leading up to the domed bit in the middle, like this, although that's got a damage repair in the same spot as mine's leaking. However, most of them on there have a domed bit with 6 circles on the side like this, and also a different oil filler cap too. Is the difference only cosmetic? Who knows....

Silly man. You're a silly man. Not as silly as me bidding for a Zx10r radial m/c when there was the Zx6r one i've been told/found i actually wanted finishing tonight. Sigh. Zx10r Master cylinder anyone?

Anyway like someone said race dash if a standard one is that expensive. Your bid for the R1 was made with the rebuild cost in mind, right :eusa_whistle:;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, next compatibility question: my bike's an 05, will an 07/08 aftermarket shock fit and will the damping be ok?

Archived