Gsxr 1000 K3/k4 Fork Oil Weight

davosaurusrex

After doing a TD at Snett the other week my forks were 'chattering' really badly braking into the hairpins. Haven't had the bike long, it's done 10k and I'll bet the oil has never been changed. I'm going to Donno in a couple of weeks and thought I'd change the oil (would like a K-tech valve kit but that'll have to wait for a bit). Spoke to K-tech, they said the standard 9.5 springs are right for my weight and not to bother with changing them but just to change the oil for 'standard' 10 weight, with the standard air gap. However, when I checked the Haynes manual it lists the fork oil as 2.5 weight, bit of a difference! Can anyone shed any light on this or even better got any suggestions for oil weight/air gap improvements? Tried the same question over on gixerjunkies but the silence was deafening.....

2.5 seems suspiciously low. 7.5 sounds more likely. In fact Suzuki recommend 'L01' which I believe corresponds to 5wt.

Capacity 509ml. Oil level 101mm. - this is from the 2004 info.

Linky to the Manuel (Spanish accent por favor) HERE

Cheers Hoona - I have got a pdf of the manual but it just gives the L01 ref. Haynes lists L01 or equivalent 2.5, like you say seems too light. Think I'll google the Suzuki L01 ref.....

Archived