Chain Stretch With New Chain / Sprockets?

wombat

Just replaced the sprockets and chain on the TRX. The old ones were starting to get pretty worn (longest interval I've got out of them but - 2yrs 3 months) The chain was shit and both the sprockets were starting to hook.

Was running JT sprockets before and an RK525 XSO chain.

Decided to splash out and buy Chain Gang sprockets and a similar RK525XSO chain.

Sprockets are 17t front (std) and 42t rear (3 up). I have used this combo ratio before.

Fitted them with no problems. Checked cush drive and all bearings, everything seems ok.

Adjusted chain as per usual and went for test ride - 15kms - all seems fine, adjustment good.

Rode to work next day (yesterday) 26km commute into the city. Bike felt good and rather smooth compared to the way it used to run with the old worn out chain and sprockets. Got off bike when parking it and noticed there was a fair bit of slack in the chain. Rode home later yesterday, no dramas. Still the same amount of slack. Got it up on the paddock stand and re-adjusted the chain. This chain seems to have a tight spot in it from new maybe 2. Took it for another spin and all seemed fine.

Everytime I've changed a chain and sprockets on this TRX, they have always seemed to need a bit of adjusting until they settle down. Is this normal or just something peculiar to twins, and odd firing twins at that? Is it maybe that I've bought a dodgy chain that had a bit of stretch in it from new? Are RKs any good? Are there better brands, DID, Regina, Tsuabaki?

I will keep an eye on it, and adjust if necessary. Thankfully it's going in for a 90,000km service at Lloyd's on Friday so I'll ask him? Maybe all it needs is another new chain.

Can you see why I like shaft drive bikes?

Any ideas? Ta

Bob

Ive always used the top Tsuabaki race chain on my race bikes and every time ive put a new chain on they need adjusting after the first ride. this last one i ran through the gears on the stand and it needed adjusting after that. its seems thats the way it is.

Im sure someone will be along to give a more detailed reason.

i wouldnt worry about it personally :)

Also you can really feel the difference when spinning the wheel by hand on the stands before and after lubing a chain so it makes a difference to the bike with a new chain and sprockets.

In my limited experience they are shit. You can never get the flow just right (the oil thickens or thins depending on the ambient temperature), and you end up with oil on the tyre edge.

This.

I had a scottoiler on my last bike. Hated it. Completely pointless unless you have the dual injection one that does both sides of the chain. Otherwise it just does the one side as the otherdries out.

I dont buy this "the lube travels to the other side of the chain" pish.

I currently use the castrol "dry" lube. Only cuz they didnt have the wurth gear in stock. It's ok, still too much fling for my liking.

I will be buying a new chain soon. Anyone got and suggestions of good places to buy? I tend to get DID jobs from wemoto, but i'm open to suggestions...

what Zak says... its just the chain bedding in. no problems with oilers in the past, tho nowadays i lube with 80/90 gearbox oil, as for which chain to buy no preference for me as long as its a heavy duty X ring.

Archived