Removing Pistons Without Splitting Cases

fran9r

I currently have an ST1100, with both heads off awaiting some valve lapping and a new cambelt.

While the engine is out, I was thinking of replacing the piston rings -I've not had the engine, so think it would be a good thing to do now rather than put it together then spot a problem.

Mr Haynes suggests that to remove the pistons/rings required the crankcase halves to be split. They definately don't drop out with the rob from the bottom.

Surely it would be possible to remove the sump and get at the rod bolts? Therefore splitting the crank cases would not be required...

Anyone done it?

Ta

Fran

Is the 1100 a flat four?

Maybe you cant get at the rod bolts due to a oil baffle??? dont want the oil in the sump flowing into the bores behind the pistons.

Don't know if its possible , have you got an oil usage issue ? , I've done one recently and just changing the valve stem seals fixed most of it,that was at 120,000 + miles

Don't know if its possible , have you got an oil usage issue ? , I've done one recently and just changing the valve stem seals fixed most of it,that was at 120,000 + miles

The reason for a top end strip is due to the valve stem seals, but while it's apart I was going to chuck some rings in it. I'm hoping not to take it apart again!

Unknown history, but when running it's smoking like a good en!

It's a V-4.

the pistons came out of my spare engine from the top (vfr750) was a case of opening up the bottom and taking the caps off and pressing out with the rubber handle of a hammer, seemed the easiest way to do it for me.

Archived