First Time Start On An Aprilia Rs125

slaveunit

Just finished rebuilding an Aprilia RS125 (pics will be chucked in the projects section soon) and I'm trying to get it started.

I've replaced the piston, rings and all top end gaskets as it was near the interval, and replaced the plug. The whole thing was rebuilt from a powdercoated frame so it's right from scratch.

So, the engine is turning but not firing. I checked the spark ok, decided it was crappy fuel so drained the tank (it came out like golden syrup!) put some new stuff in there and tried again.

It fired for about 1/2 a second and then wouldnt start again.

I'm guessing the dirty fuel is the problem, so my plan tomorrow is to remove the carb and clean it all out as best i can.

A few questions...

Apart from cleaning out the butterfly mech and cleaning out the float bowl, what else do i really need to be doing to the carb?

Any other possible solutions to the non start?

it's running a derestricted rave controller, but I havent done the rest of the derestriction (added the rave solenoid part, exhaust or got a bigger carb. Could this be a cause of it and should I change it back to the standard rave controller?

Im also running the spark plug from the derestriction, should I change it back to the original spec?

I'll pick up some easy start in the morning

It should be set up exactly as it was running before I got it (apparently, collected with a flat battery), and I havent changed anything other than swapping the restricted rave controller with a derestricted one I aquired.

choke on, throttle closed. wind it over. if it splutters/spits, choke off, throttle closed, and more winding. if it doesnt start then pull the plug and see if its wet, if its not then theres no fuel getting in. difficult i know with a freshly rebuilt engine as i hope youve used plenty of oil when assembling.

if its got the later type of fuel tap/tank then make sure the vacuum tap is connected to the carb, if not there wont be alot of fuel getting to the carb.

and you dont need the fancy exhaust/solenoid/cables to get it going, though it will help to rev it up smoothly.

hope this helps.

Archived