Downpipe Replacement

jonny

Hi,

I have just purchased some new downpipes through sandybikespares. Ordered them yesterday and they arrived today. So far so good. Will be trying to fit them over the weekend. Fingers crossed I still rate them once they are on.

This is probably the biggest job I have done on the bike (ZXR400) and was wondering if anyone has any tips?

I have just been sizing the job up and heres my plan

> Drain and remove radiator.

I have read a few threads on here with people saying they have done it with the rad on. Does anybody know if it is worth removing the rad or should I just leave it on/lower it and accept my knuckles will get crushed.

> Remove end can, Assume it will be easier with pipes still attached.

> Remove old downpipes. Studs do not look too bad so im hoping they shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

> New pipes on. Cooper grease on studs and will the gaskets need some kind of sealant on them?

> End can back on.

> Rad back on.

> Finally, fresh coolant back in.

Just wondering if I have missed anything and if anyone can add anything that may help. Sorry if this seems like a relatively simple task to be asking for advice on but everyone has to start somewhere.

Many thanks

Jonny

If you are swapping the downpipes you may as well take the radiator off, drain the system and put some nice fresh fluid back in. Saves a job the next time you do a service. (Assuming you haven't done it recently.)

Gaskets shouldn't need any any sealant, they compress when the studs are tightened up to give a good seal.

Go easy with the studs, a good soaking for a day with Wd40 or similar will make it easier. Mind you I did the downpipes on my ZZR600 not to long back and they came off fine.

you shouldnt need any type of sealant on the gaskits, the header gaskits are made so that they crush and form a seal ( double check that you got the correct gaskits before fitting).

Exhaust studs can be a right bastid to remove, so i would suggest giving them an overnight soak( i use diesel)before attempting to undo them..

+1 on soaking the studs in something !

In fact get out in the garage now and give them a squirt of wd40/diesel/penetraing oil whatever, then do it again in the morning, and repeat as often as you can till you start work :thumbsup:

Just another person saying that exhaust studs can be fannies. If you're really clever, you'll use copper nuts on the studs when you put them back on as they don't seize on nearly so easily. Your copperslip on them is a nice idea but in reality it'll melt off within about 2 minutes.

If you're really clever, you'll use copper nuts on the studs when you put them back on as they don't seize on nearly so easily. Your copperslip on them is a nice idea but in reality it'll melt off within about 2 minutes.

I had never thought of that & didn't know copper nuts were available. what a good idea. and you're right about copperslip.

the only thing I can add to this thread is: drain the cooling system and remove the radiator.

the time that takes will be saved many times over by the ease you will have removing & re-fitting the downpipes.

also, although the new exhaist gaskets don't need any sealant, a smear of copperslip or high temp grease will help hold them in place while you fit the new downpipes.

Otherwise they have a tendancy to drop out and roll away into an obscure hiding place, the moment you get the downpipes near the engine.

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate the advice. I gather from everyone that the studs might be a bitch so they shall be getting a good soaking overnight.

Archived