Bloody Ajs Cr-3 125, Help Needed

landy63

My uncle bought one a few week ago and I promised if he got a bike I'd sort it out for him and make sure it was all safe and legal as he'd never owned a bike before.

Since having it mind, I must have spent a good 60 hour on the thing and as hard as I try I just won't run right! As soon as I get the thing running well he goes out on it and it cuts out and the fueling is all over the place!

I've set the carb up a good 10 times

Replaced the inlet manifold as it was split!

Replaced spark plug

Air filter

Cleaned carb!

Short of changing reg/rectifier I'm unsure where to go next? I told him to buy a cheap 125 to learn on and I feel terrible for him now as it hardly works!

Any ideas welcome cos I'm struggling now lol

Cheers

Damien

My KTM went through spark plug caps on piece, with symptoms very much like you describe.

I thought 'fuelling' everytime but for some reason the spark plug gap was going faulty. Start the bike up in a dark garage and i could see it arcing to the frame. It would tick over fine but not run right when going (missfiring, wouldnt accept any throttle etc)

Just an idea

same here it arks well and seems spot on once set up, he will ride it for 15 mins come back and its cutting out and all over the place again? apparently it goes on him when hes approaching a junction, as soon as he come to a halt it cuts out and is a bugger to start again!

thing is though, when i last set it up i rode it for a good 30 mins, and even managed 70mph out of it which aint bad i dont think for a chinese 125!

i dont mind constantly fixing it, but the wife does lol and i think its putting my uncle off bikes so soon into his biking life :unsure:

seen as ive banged on about how great it is :thumbsup:

i know this might sound daft, Is he leaving the choke opened by any chance and having a wee footer about with the settings when he cant get it started?.

I've suspected as much mate lol I'm gonna set it one more time and run it round to ensure it's fine and give him the big if it ain't broke speech I think!

same here it arks well..

Im dont think my first post was very clear. Are you saying it sparks well?

When my KTM was actually running, I could see the HT lead/plug cap arcing to the frame. This was when the plug was in the head, plug-cap on and fired up.

It would start fine when cold, then as it warmed up it would just get worse and worse with the miss-firing/back firing/not accepting any throttle/stalling. It was a bitch to start when hot.

A new £7 spark plug cap would cure it for another thousand miles or so. Every time.

Its just maybe something cheap and easy to consider.

Andy

yeah i get you andy, the plug is fine but still i replaced it hoping i missed something!

the problem does appear to be only when hot from what he said but as mentioned ive had it up to temperature and probably rode it much harder than he does without a problem?

gonna have a look at it again tomorrow and ask him to take me through his start up procedure and general riding to see if i can highlight any issues there?

cheers though and any other ideas would be much appreciated!!

Damien

yeah i get you andy, the plug is fine...

I pretty sure you know what I mean, but just to clarify :icon_blackeye:

Plug CAP I mean, not the actual spark plug

10003675.jpg

It was a very common problem on some models of big single cylinder KTM's.

:thumbsup::icon_salut:

Andy

Haha the lead is fine mate I'm scratching my head as what to try next? I've searched net and other people have complained of a similar problem and ajs dealers seem to have had no joy!!

Lots of them have been given new bike under warrant!!

I fail to believe that if it's a mechanical or electrical issue that I can't be fixed!

Probably over stubborn but I'm not giving in just yet :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a quick look and it seems the problem is a fueling issue is it worth putting a decent second hand carb of a honda on?

If you've got a similar sized one go for it,Chinese carbs aren't the best. Read a post on another forum where one had 3 new carbs in just over 12 months each time it cured the running problem for a few weeks then went again :eusa_wall:

Just had a quick look and it seems the problem is a fueling issue is it worth putting a decent second hand carb of a honda on?

not a bad idea that uggiebear, there pattern engines designed around a cg125 so i would think it would be that hard to sort, if it carrys on mind ill just lob a cg125 engine and carb in it and have done! :eusa_think: cheers boss

Archived