Falco Mangled Flywheel And Stator

szrdave

Lack of drive from the starter to the engine on an Aprilia normally means the sprag has gone tits up, which can often be cured by tightening the spring slightly. Which is what I set out to do this afternoon.

Unfortunately upon removing the alternator cover I was met by this scene:

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

One of the screws that should have been holding the sprag to the flywheel

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

Fucked stator

I took the flywheel off, and it's a bit battered and bruised on the inside. It's structurally sound though and has only lost a small amount of magnet. Is there any reason why it shouldn't be reused?

Here is the sprag, which seems to be working fine. Note the ends of the sheared off bolts still in place:

IMAG0287.jpg

It looks like the bits of flywheel/stator winding were contained within the flywheel, but I guess an oil/filter change would be a good idea just in case. Which is a bastard as I've only just done it!

I'll either need to replace the stator or get it repaired, and recommendations for the latter?

have it rewound at west country, it will come back better than new and it's cheaper than a new from aprilia. I wouldn't trust ebay for these types of parts.

Good call on the oil change, but you'r lucky that it with-in a big magnet it went boom..

Ronni

I would be straight on the 'bay for that lot, they are not a problem on that engine (i know the sprag clutches are) but the rotor and stator are pretty bulletproof,plentiful, cause they are all the same (early models)

If you had to strip the motor to replace it would be worth being cautious but you don't, so hunt round, you should get them very cheap

Thanks for the replies, was just searching 'stator' on ebay which didn't bring up many results.

West county windings quoted £130 to repair, so I think I'll try and get the bits 2nd hand.

Archived