Stuck Bleed Nipple

Kermit

Hello PBers,

I want to bleed the back brake on the mighty Lavera so that I can renew the brake fluid.

However, the bleed nipple is refusing to undo and I am reluctant to use too much force as I am sure to snap the nipple off.

Any tips? I was wondering about release oil but was unsure if it would work, likewise applying a little heat, but again I am worried about damaging the seals in the caliper.

The caliper's a Brembo if it makes any difference. Although, I'm not sure if new seals are avaialble for Brembo calipers.

Any help and amusing pisstakes welcome.

Kermit

I’d go with applying a bit of heat to it. The seals have to put up with the heat generated with braking, so I’m sure they’d be ok with a bit of heat on the bleed nipple?

Failing that, you could try a bit of WD-40 on it, just be careful not to get any on the discs/pads. I did once and ended up having to buy a new set of pads. grr.

You could, if you really wanted to be thorough, pump the pistons out and then remove the seals, then heat it up until your heart's content. Either way, lots of squirty stuff and lots of heat is the way forward.

Thanks peeps,

THat banjo bolt with a bleed nipple looks to be the way forward.

Anyone know the thread required for a Brembo caliper?

1.00 or 1.25?

Kermit.

Thanks peeps,

THat banjo bolt with a bleed nipple looks to be the way forward.

Anyone know the thread required for a Brembo caliper?

1.00 or 1.25?

Kermit.

M10 x 1.0.

These fellas are handy for brembo spares: http://www.bevelheav...sale-brembo.htm

They're in California but I've used them in the past for Brembo bits and as long as you work out the time difference, they reply to emails pretty much straight away.

HTH.

No worries.

Stuck bleed nipples can be - to use a 'Cox-ism' - a nightmare in a bubblecar. Leave it, step away from the bleed nipple, it could end in tears :icon_pale:.

BTW, that Bevelheaven site... if you click on 'home' and 'gallery' - say goodbye to an afternoon :thumbsup:.

Archived