Brake Fluid Reservoirs

TheGoat

I recently bought and fitted an HRC rear brake fluid reservoir kit to the R1. I'm aware of the "sweating" issues with the piping, but i also have some Tygon in case it goes the way of the pear (though i have heard that this can happen with Tygon too)..

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried a similar set-up with the front? I assume it's possible, but i've not seen it done. That, or any other interesting set-ups for front reservoirs.

Probably a stupid question, but what do you expect? i'm a Goat, i have a small brain...

unledmlb.png

there is not enough room for thermal exspansion, so your front will lock on at first sight of hard use. Member on 400greybike tried it a few years ago..

Ronni

there is not enough room for thermal exspansion, so your front will lock on at first sight of hard use. Member on 400greybike tried it a few years ago..

Ronni

I seeeee.

Cheers mukka.

I tried it once with a bit of the hrc green stuff on a gsxr. It was just a pain in the arse really, to fill, to empty, to do anything with. I cut it in half and sold it on ebay via 2 auctions, lol.

On front brakes, you have 8 pistons, and pads that wear much faster which means that you need a bigger reservoir to allow the pistons to compensate.

Also, a rear brake failure is an inconvenience. A front brake failure could be fatal. Fuck about with brakes at your peril.

That's assuming that 4 of his pistons are seized solid :eusa_whistle:

a chap i know bought a kit for the rear and has moaned like fuck ever since. lol. waste of time and effort.

I bled the brakes yesterday on the wonderbros with one of these. I'd imagine it'd be OK if you were just swapping reservoirs but to go from a dry system to fully bled I had to refil the tube about 8 million times, which was a little bit tiresome. Looks nice now it's done though.

I bled the brakes yesterday on the wonderbros with one of these. I'd imagine it'd be OK if you were just swapping reservoirs but to go from a dry system to fully bled I had to refil the tube about 8 million times, which was a little bit tiresome. Looks nice now it's done though.

Is the tube cut down or left as supplied? 12" i think it is.

I cut mine down to about 2", so there was a fair bit of refilling getting done. Cheeky syringe of brake fluid at hand and all was well. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't replace the whole front reservoir due to the reasons above.

Before I fitted my Brembo front m/cyl I had a piece of this HRC tube connecting the stock m/cyl to the reservoir, same as this:

0704_sprp_08_z+cockpit_view+.jpg

At the same time I had a short piece at the back as well. To be honest I fucked them off asap. It's a right pain in the arse having to go to it every day to check brake fluid hadn't dripped on the paintwork (you can even see it sweating on the GP bike above...)

Is the tube cut down or left as supplied? 12" i think it is.

I cut mine down to about 2", so there was a fair bit of refilling getting done. Cheeky syringe of brake fluid at hand and all was well. :thumbsup:

It's chopped to about 10" so most of it left on there but with a dry system, a brand new caliper, completely empty master cylinder and hose, it takes about 300ml by the time you've bled it, and the internals of the hose take, hmm, about 15ml? Lovely...

Did you find the Tygon to be any better, Tom?

Didn't use it mate, my front master cylinder now has the black brembo pipe and I have a built in reservoir on the rear master cylinder. I haven't heard about any issues with the Tygon tubing though bud, I've just heard its a good replacement for the HRC stuff as it doesn't sweat - allegedly.

Archived