Whiney Gearbox After Chain Replacement

exuprob

After my jaunt to Spain and back on my 4xv R1 the chain and sprockets were toasted. Replace rear sprocket with Renthal +2 rear and Renthal -1 front, 114 link DID xRing chain and all was well.

BUT and I'm not sure I'm imagining it but I seem to be able to hear a high pitched whine at lower speeds more than I did before. Its road speed related and doesnt change if its in another gear and I can whip the clutch in and still here it.

Ive had the front sprocket cover off and it all looks good, chain run is straight and doesnt seem too tight and the box works as it should.

Chains arent directional are they?

Maybe I just need some new ear plugs :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

As above, dont worry about it. Standard front sprokets have a hard rubber band through them to cut out the whine, renthal sprokets dont have them.

Re-check your tension?

The chain on my 5jj was too tight when i bought it, and it whined like buggery.

Quietened down loads when i correctly tensioned it, although it still does whine slightly.

Its is quite lively on this gearing, front leaps into the air off bumps/cats eyes/imagined bumps in the road but its sooo worth it.

Speedo does over read by miles though and guess work is exactly that, guess work but I'll put up with that.

Thanks for the fast response.

That's cos its the gearbox bearing on the output shaft that's toasted. Nowt to do with a lack of quietening rubbers on the front sprocket. You might be jammy and its the cush drive bearing, but if its a Zzzzziiiiizzzz sound that is more discernable under more load... the gearbox bearing.

Fix it in the winter.

That's cos its the gearbox bearing on the output shaft that's toasted. Nowt to do with a lack of quietening rubbers on the front sprocket. You might be jammy and its the cush drive bearing, but if its a Zzzzziiiiizzzz sound that is more discernable under more load... the gearbox bearing.

Fix it in the winter.

it could be a wheel bearing or as 2639 suggests there is also a bearing in the rear sprocket carrier.

If i were you I would be checking / replacing those first. Also make sure you have the correct spacer between the rear wheel and sprocket carrier.

it's easy to overlook that one and if you miss it out when you tighten up the rear axle you can damage the bearings.

but if it's the output shaft bearing then I'm afraid the only way to replace that is a full on engine-out and split the crankcases job.

My thoughts exactly. Not the Casey Stoner bit but the 'why would the output shaft bearing fail straight after a chain and sprocket swap?' part. Pretty unlucky for that to have happened.

I'll be whipping the rear wheel out and checking that first. Fingers crossed.

Archived