Smoke From The Exhaust Under Hard Acceleration

wesifume

How do ya bastids.

i have a question, i gave my bike to a mate for a loan for about a month. He's a good fast rider so i know the bike was suitably abused, and on return he had changed oil and filter and fitted a new rear hoop..very nice of him.

So when i took it for a spin, i noticed a flat spot, i think it was in second gear at about 7.5 - 8k , it wasn't hitting a limiter or owt.

when we eventually pulled in, one of the lads said he noticed smoke coming out the exhaust under hard acceleration, i have since seen it myself last weekend when myself and a mate swapped bikes. I think it was a whitish slightly blue smoke. Reason i mention the colour is i was reading up on it, and one was oil burning, one was oil getting past the rings and one was summat else, basically white/blue/black smoke were the tyupes involved.

Does anyone have any guesses or knowledge of what it may be, or have it happen on their blade? whats the crack with the mysterious flat spot all of a sudden?

and at what mileage should a blade rr engine have valves etc checked?

My bike is a mixed bag, full history unknown but i have serviced it etc myself since i got it, but i've not had valves or owt looked at, because the actual mileage is unknown because it had a clock swap due to a recall, and had another clock swap to an american set of clocks, so ihave incorrect clocks that read 25% slower and on and on and ariston.

If the mileage is unknown and the bike is 7 years old, I would definitely check the valve clearances, as there's a good change they've never been checked before.

I dont know if this would have anything to do with your smoking problem though.

Black smoke tends to be oil, blue from over felling and white from coolant. From what you've said I'd check the oil colour and also have a look under the coolant cap for signs of frothiness.

Will do on both counts.

The oil has never been a bad colour other than dark from use, i'll check under the cap this eve, and ill start saving for valves to be checked/tightened/tickled or whatever they do wiv em.

First thing I'd check is the oil level. If it's over halfway between the max and min lines it may well be pumping a bit of excess oil into the airbox then when you give it some welley it's drawing it into the engine and burning it. Ingesting the oil could be causing your "flat spot" as well. Easy enough to do and it's easier to check than the valve clearances. As mentioned though it's probably worth getting the clearances checked for peace of mind though. HTH, Ben.

I had this same thing on a blade after it fell over, oil had gotten into the air box and then also fouled the plugs.

Cleaned plugs and cleared all traces of oil from the airbox and was fine after that.

Not saying he dropped it but I wonder if a long wheelie could do the same, doesn't that happen on some Ducatis?

I had this same thing on a blade after it fell over, oil had gotten into the air box and then also fouled the plugs.

Cleaned plugs and cleared all traces of oil from the airbox and was fine after that.

Not saying he dropped it but I wonder if a long wheelie could do the same, doesn't that happen on some Ducatis?

Long wheelie you say...... :eusa_think:

looks like i have a nice evening ahead.

Just got this back from a mechanic that i've been recommended..

the cash side is not the worry (well it is for me, but not for proper work being done)

Hi Wes,

To carry out a valve clearance check on your bike it will be 200 euros.

If you want to remove the bodywork yourself, we can do it for 175 euros.

This is for checking the valve clearance. If any adjustment needs doing (really rare), it will involve extra labour (100 euros) + parts (shims).

I hope this can help you.

Its the if adjustment is needed (rare), bit that gets me. i thought that all engines/valves needed adjustments at some stage/mileage? no ?

But a check isn't going to solve your current problem.

You know there is an issue somewhere with something. Wouldn't it be better to book it in with the mechanic to find the actual problem rather than pick at random a possible cause?

But a check isn't going to solve your current problem.

You know there is an issue somewhere with something. Wouldn't it be better to book it in with the mechanic to find the actual problem rather than pick at random a possible cause?

God damn you and your sensible answer..

yarp, probably best someone has a look, it's not belching smoke for the good of its health i suppose.

edit..its not like its a red arrow type smoke neither

It's easy enough to pop the cover off the airbox, whip out the filter and have a mooch about for oil, that'd be my first port of call. Of course, if your man over filled it when he changed it, that'd be enough to burp some up into the airbox from the breather and bingo, smoke...

It's easy enough to pop the cover off the airbox, whip out the filter and have a mooch about for oil, that'd be my first port of call. Of course, if your man over filled it when he changed it, that'd be enough to burp some up into the airbox from the breather and bingo, smoke...

This.

When my step-dad first bought his ZX6R, it had been waaay over filled with oil in the past. I took it for a run out and popped a wheelie as you do.

Cue a comedy style plume of smoke out of the exhaust.

The airbox had actual pools of oil in it.

Andy

Archived