Zx7r Injection???

speedy sie

any info on the best way to do it??...and any links to a bike that has been done.

This should attract some interesting replies.................. :eusa_whistle:

BURN THE HERETIC!!!

It can be done but I'd ask why you want to?

If it's for performance reasons it's unlikely that Fuel Injection retro fitted to an I4 engine designed to work on carbs will ever offer any better power/throttle response/fuel economy than the carbs.

If it's just for the sheer hell of it then I'd suggest getting hold of a set of GSXR 750 throttle bodies and seeing if you can modify the spacing to suit the kwak inlets. If you get a mega squirt programmable ECU then a very basic Fi setup could be made to work with just a Crank Position Sensor (already on the ZX7 engine) and Throttle Position Sensor (on the GSXR throttle bodies).

You need to understand - or find someone else who does - how to create a basic fuel and ignition map from scratch and spend a fair bit of dyno and road/track time ( preferably with a simple data logging set up recording lambda, tps, rpm and wheel speed) perfecting the mapping.

If you want to use the bike as a road bike all year round you're going to have to add coolant temperature sensor and ambient air temp and pressure sensors and come up with some trim table values to allow the bike to run properly when it's very cold or very hot or the air is very thin etc etc.

The main impediment to doing much more than this is the lack of a Cam Shaft Position Sensor, without this you're going to have to run wasted spark AND wasted injection (firing the injector twice in the 4 stroke cycle because you don't know where each of the pistons is in the 4 stroke cycle without a crank AND cam sensor) which limits your tuning ability.

Interesting.

Mike, if you add the cam sensor, whats next on the limitations of tuning?

Do you know anyone who has used a megasquirt?

the cam trigger on the srad is just a pin driven through the cam,so if i dial the cam on the srad and copy this to the zx7r cam to be at the same point on the cam this should work,than fit as you said a set of srad boddies and a srad full loom,will all the censers.this should work?..pluss ill have to dial the crank and set up the crank on the zx7 to the same as the srad.

the point to all this is if can be dome ill set the engine up with carbs then convert to inj to see the difference

If you've got a camshaft sensor and the injectors/fuel pressure are correctly specced and you've got your sensors for the ambient factors and the apropriate trim tables then the limiting factor is the person programming the ECU.

I know people who've use megasquirts but I've never used one.

Thank you. I'll be delving a little deeper into this...when I get some of the more straightforward projects together/out the way/I buy somewhere to put everything. Hopefully.

Archived