Whats The Best Engine Paint

ccubed

Can anyone advise on the best engine paint. Wisdom suggests etch primer for alloy painting but I am not sure if such products are right or exist for the 150 degrees or so for an engine.

There's some stuff called "Engine Paint" or "engine Enamel" why not give that a go.

When you start the engine after it's been painted don't let it get hot, just warm it a little then turn the engine off and allow to cool. Then run it a little bit longer and cool then longer still. This will cure the paint and give a more durable finish.

Both ends.

Ah. Then for block and cases personally I'd go the etch primer route followed by an acrylic enamel-based engine paint. Or, depending on the level of finish you want to achieve/depth of your pockets - good old powdercoat. Top end would be PJ1/Techcote/A.N.Other brand of reputable heat proof paint.

I'd definitely use etch primer first on engine cases though as paint over bare ally will chip and flake to buggery. I used etch primer followed by Rustoleum Hardhat rattle can paint on a mates Vespa engine a few years back and it still looks good today. Granted it doesn't get as hot as an air-cooled jap multi, but it gets hot enough. Building up the heat gently is the key.

HTH.

Both ends.

Great advice thanks. What I thought would happen looks likely ie. chipped finish over time. I just was not sure if the etch primer could stand the heat. A water cooled engine is reasonably cool as things go I suppose.

Looking for an etch primer then.

Thanks again.

Great advice thanks. What I thought would happen looks likely ie. chipped finish over time. I just was not sure if the etch primer could stand the heat. A water cooled engine is reasonably cool as things go I suppose.

Looking for an etch primer then.

Thanks again.

No probs. The above is what generally works for me. The only foolproof way of getting a motor to look good and stay looking good is powdercoat - which means a full strip and rebuild which is too much time, effort, and cost for me, unless it's something simple. But engine blocks and cases you really need to etch prime first. Cylinder barrels and heads - as long as they're scrupulously clean and you use a quality heat resistant paint baked on carefully - should be fine without primer, and most are designed to work without primer anyways.

I use Upol Acid Etch #8 rattle can primer. You only need very light coats, and I mean just dust it on, and you don't really need a full uniform coverage. Halfturds do an industrial acrylic enamel rattle can paint which I've found works well. I've used it on brake calipers and it seems impervious to brake fluid as long as it's fully cured. I have a shitter of a GS motor to paint (...one day :rolleyes:) so I'll be using these on it.

Archived