Zx10r 05 Noisy Tappets

Okjc250

just been out for a blast on the bike and have noticed a ticking noise, it wasn't there before or has got worse since i last rode it.

sounds like the tappets... easy job to fix? expensive?

bit annoying really doing Oulton park next week then the ring the week after.

any help would be appreciated

james

whys that? i dont like the noise tho :( the more i listen the louder it gets lol

If the top ends too quiet it means the valves could be tightening up & could burn out.

I sometimes catch a noise on my bike & seem to always pick up on it but its been there for the last 2 yrs so it must of been there before.

Could be the automatic cam chain adjuster about to click over - it works on a ratchet system and gets a bit noisy just before it takes up the slack again. Once it's taken the slack up it will be quiet again.

Happened on ZX6Rs I've had in the past so I'd imagine Kawasaki used a similar setup on the 10R.

zx10s are noisy, mine ticks and rattles but i've never had any mechanical issue, its been in to tim blakemore the kawasaki mistro for various things and he's never seen fit to mention it.. i shouldn't worry.

It's a Kawasaki, and therefore has a noisy top end

It'll still be ticking when the other Jap bikes' engines have long since given up

i have found where the tensioner is. if i remove it give it a little clean nothing can go wrong can it? and when i put it back in it will be in the right place?

just took it out to have a look. it has a little bit of play in the ratchet dont know if this is normal or not.

anyone know how much a genuine kawasaki one would be? have read on some other forums there known to get weak at about 12k

also i dont understand how it goes to its next click.... surely once its removed there is no pressure pushing it back so it would just extend to full length but it doesnt?

james

i removed the whole unit tho so the spring is still inside it. im worried now as i dont know how far it was out before.

wish i didnt take it out.

how would i put it back in and let it tension it self back out again?

someone has also said that i should have timed the engine up before removing it

Never done this job yet (will be checking my valve clearance this winter). But from what I know it comes down to one question.

"do ya feel lucky, wel do yah....etc".

If the engine has not moved at all, ie the rear wheel turned while in gear for example and the cam chain does not jump a link you will be ok.

Myself, i would my a manual and set the timing/ check the number of chain links between the cam sprockets. If your not confident, cut your loses, ring a shop and get them to do it.

You may get lucky. If you don't and the chain has jumped a link or two your timing will be out. This is bad, best case a poorly running engine. Worst case a fucked engine with lots of broken bits.

Someone who knows more may be along to help you soon. I would tread very carefully and not take chances. Buy a manual/ring a shop matey.

have taken bike out and rides fine. sounds fine still a bit ticky but this must mean the timing is fine.

just gunna leave it as it is now.

if i put my hand over the exhaust the clicking noise stops does this sujest it has something to do with the exhaust system?

Maybe - there are alot of things that resonate with the engine vibrations and the gas pulses :)

At 16,000 miles you'll be due a valve check anyway, which may reveal anything. In the mean time, if it dosn't get any worse, dont worry :)

ok mate will do. i will try and ignore it lol

If the sound goes when you put your hand over the exhaust, then I'd be suspecting a dodgy exhaust gasket rather than the cam chain

Please.... if you take out the tensioner again, take out the centre bolt and spring first, then remove the housing.Count the notches before you reset the tensioner.

Archived