Total Loss Igniton -what Battery To Use?

monkeystew0

Need some help and advice.....For anyone who has followed the "Project-Monkeystew's SZR Supermono" thread, I'm building an SZR660 based trackday bike. Due to the Slipstream Tuning engine I'm using, I'm planning on a total loss ignition system. I think I have the harness all sussed out but need some suggetions on a battery to power it.

The stock SZR660 bike used a YTX9 BS. A big old lump and probably way over the top for running just a single coil and plug for trackday sessions. (no charging circuit, lights etc to worry about now)

So what is the best option?

Cheapest is a small 12V scooter battery (YTX3 for example). But I've also read about battery eliminators (basically a big capacitor) or even Dry cell LiFePO / Dewalt style set ups.

Any one recommend something from experience? How much capacity do I need to run for approx 30mins at time?

Suggestions welcome.........

I would suggest using a LiPo pack since they are so light. To work out the capacity required for 30 minutes running you'll need to find out how much current you are drawing with your ignition, fuel pump, etc.

Depends if you are going to bump it or use a slave battery to start it. Running it takes bugger all, but starting it takes a bit out the life of the battery.

i presume that your going to bump start it or use rollers so all youll need is a small battery for spark. szr /xtz motor use less than 1 amp when flat out . back in my supermono days i used an alarm battery 1.2amp bout 12 quid from electrical shop, and i could get bout hour of racing per full charge. ( i had two batteries - which i would change between quailfying & racing )if your planning longer distance stuff then calculations are roughly 1 amp/hour so a 3 amp battery will do bout 3 hours ish - engine will start to splutter at high rpm when battery fades.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Interesting idea the alarm battery pack. I had looked at RC car batteries but as a friend of mine works for a fire security company who service fire alarms in shops etc. I might tap him up and see if he would have a few spares knocking around.

Do they need any special type of charger? Don't know a lot about the dry cell stuff other than charging my cordless drill. I was thinking of just getting a lead acid 12V scooter job to get it running and troubleshoot everything before I use the bike in anger but it looks like one of these might be an even cheaper option.

I will do some more research.....

I have just bought some Lipo , if total loss you need a 5A charger. Google speedcells or look at Durbahns website for more info!

I'll report back on my experience.

Not running loss on my bikes though, 1098s and 748rs both high comp.

Lite as feathers !!!

Archived