Cad Design Software

selexon

Hi Chaps,

I'm a bit stumped at the mo.

I remember reading a issue of PB last year and it featured one of the writers using a cad program to design some swingarm pivots etc for his R1 carbon swingarm. I remember him stating the name of the software and also that some reader was helping him out with the machining of the aparts.

I have looked through my pile of mags but can't find it. does anyone know the name of the program or remember what issue it was in. Any info would be great.

I need to make a rear caliper bracket and would like to have a go at it. As by reading his article it seemed sorta easy.

there are a load available......

Rhinoceros is one of the best available, but it's not free (unless you know torrents) and learning the program requires a bit of dedication and a fair bit of patience...

Blender is a brilliant free open source program you might want to try, i haven't used it myself but a lot of people swear by it.....

but if all you need is simple geometric shapes im sure any of these or the others metioned will suffice...

If you have a basic understanding of acad then it is easy to pick up solidworks through using the tutorials included in the package. I learnt acad, solidworks and the cadcam package I now use through the tutorials. The best I have used for designing and making parts though are delcam products. They are not cheap, but they are very good and it is the one that Kemmy Roberts company used for machining the parts for the protons etc.

As has just been said, the tutorials included in SW are pretty good at getting you familiar with most of what you'll need to do. There's also a good series of 'from the beginning' SW tutorial videos on YouTube. That's what I used, and the help of a very friendly machinist to work out what was actually possible and what wasn't. It's easy to design things that are a bitch or even impossible to machine.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys, I have watched a few of the SW vids on the tube and it looks like it offers the most online support.

I've done most of the schematics for the bracket so now just need to turn in into a 3D object.

As has just been said, the tutorials included in SW are pretty good at getting you familiar with most of what you'll need to do. There's also a good series of 'from the beginning' SW tutorial videos on YouTube. That's what I used, and the help of a very friendly machinist to work out what was actually possible and what wasn't. It's easy to design things that are a bitch or even impossible to machine.

Good luck!

So Mark, did you stump up the five grand or so that a SW licence costs these days? :eusa_whistle:

Archived