Gel Coat Repair

Devon

How do I repair some damaged gel coat on my fibreglass fairings? can I get a repair kit.

I just noticed Im filling this section up with questions :/

depends how big a repair you need to undertake?

If its a few surface marks or scratches then some filler and rub down prior to paint should do the trick. If you've got 'crazing' (i.e. lots of small cracks/lines emanating from some damage) or a hole then some fibreglass work, strengething and filler may be required.

If you have light crazing, take a dremel and small dia grinding bit to each of the crazed lines and grind out the surface gelcoat all the way along each line. Then fill, rub down and paint. Dont go through the fibreglass, just grind out the top 0.5mm - 1mm.

If you have larger crazed lines or cracks, drill a hole at the end of the line/crack all the way through the fibreglass and gelcoat. Then patch fibreglass over the rear of the hole and then fill/rub/paint on the outside to finish. The drilled hole will stop the crack or crazed line spreading further when the part is flexed.

Any significant damage will need some more major work. Ideallym damaged areas should be cut out completely and then re-glassed, filled etc. Depending on the extent of the damage will determine how much needs to be cut out and replaced.

If you dont cut out and repair properley, chances are that your repair will fracture or craze again once the part is back on and will show through your finihsed paintwork.

Depends how critical you want to be and how much time you want to spend repairing it!!

Halfords do fibreglass repair kits (with resin and fibreglass cloth). Boat chandlers will do the same. Use a flexible filler for finishing since the fibre glass parts will flex when they are fitted/in use.

Other www based companies can mail order fibreglass materials, fillers, resins etc to assist with your repairs, try My link

I do want to get it vinyl wrapped at some point, it's just money is a limiting factor. I will post up some pictures of the three problems that I have. I dont think they will need reglassing.... hope.

Archived