Any 5jj Experts Out There?

Gumballer

Please someone help me! :icon_bounce: I'm going bloody mad.

Parked up the R1 in the shed last week, rode it in, went to take her for the MOT saturday morning and shes dead. Well, the usual electrics fire up, needle sweeps round and returns as usual, Neutral light on, fuel pump fires, but the starter button is dead. The kill switch I can hear clicking a little relay somewhere when flicked on and off, but no life!

After huffing and puffing up the road pushing the bastard with no joy, I jumped her by shorting the starter solenoid under the seat and she spins up fine but doesnt fire.

Anyone any ideas how she can commit Hari Cari while being safely parked up in the shed on her own? I have tried taking the switches apart and WD40 everything, shorted the clutch switch at the bar and wiggled the side stand switch but they shouldnt effect it if she is showing in neutral (and is) :eusa_wall:

:wtfmore: PLEASE????

The battery is fine, even tried with jump leads etc to the trusty GS. And when I put the leads straight to the relay it spins over great but no broom broom!

Could it be tilt switch? I dont think its fallen over no damage etc but it is a public garage someone could have been feckin about with her I suppose.

AFIAK there isn't a tilt switch on the 4xv/5jj models - don't know about the later FI models though.

sorry I can't suggest anything else electrics are not my thang

yeah you would have been looking for it for quite a while...!

PS if it spins over but doesn't start that to me suggests a couple of places to check:

is it sparking? is the there a problem with the fuel pump?

basic stuff, have you checked all the fuses?

Its the button that appears to be dead, along with something further relating to it not firing. If I force it to turn over, Screwdriver accross the solenoid, it spins all day but not firing.

1st id check all the fuses. I think there is one under the seat which is a main one? Main fuse is 30amp and ignition is 15amp... Anyhow check all of those. Make sure your battery is fully charged (12.6volt+) as a crap battery will light everything up but wont start it.

Then make sure you are getting a spark as well & fuel is getting to the carbs.

Sidestand,Neutral & Clutch all will stop the bike starting.(sidestand a common fault) So make sure all of these connections are clean (or bypass them)

Check there is power to the starter switch as well.A corroded connection wont help.Bad earth (black wire) on starter switch.

Hope that helps

EDIT:- If you can let me know if you are getting fuel and a spark i can go from there mate.Its not the starter motor as that's turning.You jumped it from the starter relay so its not that. I would say it is probably a fuse or bad connection.Could also be the Starting circuit cutoff relay.

It’s probably a badger.

Seriously though, my vote would be on the ignition fuse. If all the other electrics work, and it’s just a case that the bike won’t turn over/fire. That’d be my bet.

Have you got an alarm / immobiliser as they kill the spark , as the fuel pump primes only when the kill switch is in run.

It won't turn over on the button if it's in the off position either.

A mate had the same as you and it turned out to be a duff alarm. He got some people over to remove it and it started straight away.

Archived