Twin Carb To Single Carb?

Kayla

Does anyone have any idea why it shouldn't be possible to convert a Yam SZR to run a single mx FCR instead of the odd twin slide/CV set-up it has as standard? Or is there a link to a sensible website (all of the searching I've done has led to American* sites for the Yam Raptor/Grizzly)?

* 'nuff said.

Does anyone have any idea why it shouldn't be possible to convert a Yam SZR to run a single mx FCR instead of the odd twin slide/CV set-up it has as standard? Or is there a link to a sensible website (all of the searching I've done has led to American* sites for the Yam Raptor/Grizzly)?

* 'nuff said.

It's definitely worth ditching the standard carb(s), it's virtually impossible to get different sized jets for the originals and apparently a 5bhp gain can be had from a decent set of flatslides as well as a big improvement in throttle response.

I'm still trying to fit those twin flatslides from a GSXR bank, but a big single carb is reputed to work just as well on these engines. The only problem is a lack of space as a 2-1 manifold would move the carb back far enough to hit the tank, although from your post in pinboard I guess you're changing the tank?

There is a guy called Galen Miller in the states who makes the manifolds, when I contacted him about a year ago he still had one left.

As far as useful websites go there is the SZR Yahoo group, which is generally pretty quiet but has plenty of useful info in the archives and is the only SZR specific English speaking forum I've found.

The MZ Skorpion uses the same engine so a lot of info applies to the SZR too, Bill Jurgenson's website is worth a read as is his blog, the 660 MZ forum also.

It's definitely worth ditching the standard carb(s), it's virtually impossible to get different sized jets for the originals and apparently a 5bhp gain can be had from a decent set of flatslides as well as a big improvement in throttle response.

I'm still trying to fit those twin flatslides from a GSXR bank, but a big single carb is reputed to work just as well on these engines. The only problem is a lack of space as a 2-1 manifold would move the carb back far enough to hit the tank, although from your post in pinboard I guess you're changing the tank?

There is a guy called Galen Miller in the states who makes the manifolds, when I contacted him about a year ago he still had one left.

As far as useful websites go there is the SZR Yahoo group, which is generally pretty quiet but has plenty of useful info in the archives and is the only SZR specific English speaking forum I've found.

The MZ Skorpion uses the same engine so a lot of info applies to the SZR too, Bill Jurgenson's website is worth a read as is his blog, the 660 MZ forum also.

Thanks for the links :)

I've bought a TZR125R tank from ebay and when it turns up I'll have a look and see how much space is under the tank when I swap them over. I haven't even got the bike yet :lol: We're driving down to collect it tomorrow.

Another site worth checking out for info and pictures is this one:

[url=http://szr660karttrackracer.blogspot.com/]

Although it is all in German there is a lot of info hidden in the Blogs and all sorts of modified SZR's featured. Google doesn't so too bad a job of translating the text and the pics are good for inspiration.

You should find there is plenty of space under a 4dl TZR tank unless you go for a very long manifold and huge carb...

Looking forward to see what you do with the SZR....Taken it out for a blast yet?

Another site worth checking out for info and pictures is this one:

[url=http://szr660karttrackracer.blogspot.com/]

Although it is all in German there is a lot of info hidden in the Blogs and all sorts of modified SZR's featured. Google doesn't so too bad a job of translating the text and the pics are good for inspiration.

You should find there is plenty of space under a 4dl TZR tank unless you go for a very long manifold and huge carb...

Looking forward to see what you do with the SZR....Taken it out for a blast yet?

:lol: That's kind of relative! Yes, I took it out yesterday when we got back and Chris took it out this morning. It's brill :)

Archived