2009 Fz1 Rear Suspension Linkages

banoffee

Approx 17k miles on the clock, small vertical play in rear swingarm. All bolts tight. Not had a chance to investigate further yet, no visible play in any component from a quick look and ran out of time.

What goes first on these, the bearings on the horizontal linkage from the frame to the triangle? Just wondered if others have had the same.

Mine's a 58 plate with half that mileage and it has a smidge of play in it. Maybe a strip and regrease would sort it? Yamaha might be 'economical' with the grease on the production line.

Usually any up and down play in the swingarm is the bush/bearing directly below the bottom of the rear shock, could be a bit of wear here.

2007 FZ1. Press fleet, bog stock and mint. Waay less than 17000 on it. That had 3 or 4mm vertical play at rear wheel when bike was supported at swing arm pivot for wheel changing. Seemed to promote semi - chattering when cornering over bumps. Less affected on sticky tyres, more afected on firmer sidewall road tyres.

I'd check a few before spending 200 quid to make no noticeable improvement.

To paraphrase the great T Jones esq , It's not unusual , you've got a heeyowge mechanical advantage at the end of the swinging arm so a tiny bit at the bearing feel's like a lot at the back , strip grease and inspect , you'll probably find there's about 1mm side to side play in the swinging arm as well , so long as it's side to side it's within manufacturers tolerances and there's no problem

Looks like it's the bottom shock mount (can feel play there, nowhere else). Removed and re-greased no improvement.

Ronenige - sent you a PM sir.

To paraphrase the great T Jones esq , It's not unusual , you've got a heeyowge mechanical advantage at the end of the swinging arm so a tiny bit at the bearing feel's like a lot at the back , strip grease and inspect , you'll probably find there's about 1mm side to side play in the swinging arm as well , so long as it's side to side it's within manufacturers tolerances and there's no problem

Agreed. The sheer length of a Fazer's undercarriage bits exacerbates the problem. Look at the length of that bloody dog bone tie bar thing for a start :wtfmore:.

Mebbe if the owner is experiencing handling problems like chattering as was mentioned, a couple of clicks more rear preload would help? I'm just thinking outside the box here, but on my Fazer I went from 5 clicks to 7 after loading up with luggage for a bombing raid to France. It handled so much better even after i removed said luggage, that I left it. And I'm only 11 stone.

Someone will now tell me that increasing the preload does feck all...

Archived