Ohlins Woes

bjohnson

Bought a pair of ohlins R&T forks for my GSXR 1000 K5 a couple of weeks ago (not from here I might add) and was really pleased when they arrived all shiny and pretty much as the pics I'd received from the seller

Had seem them advertised on fleabay and then again on a different bike forum so did some haggling with the seller and got them for a reasonable price.

I did my best to try and ensure they were correct fitment, including checking model codes, asking what they had come off etc etc. before buying. Despite my best endeavours to check and double check the fitment to my bike and the assurances from the seller that they would fit - they dont!

The bike is in today with my local dealer for fitting (along with some other goodies) and when the phone call came at 4pm I thought they would be ready, but no.

Dealer advises me that what I have bought is a pair of Ohlins R&T forks probably for a K4 1000. Apparently the whole lot went back in no problem, all the right fitment, wheel back in, but when they went to mount the calipers the fitment is wrong.

Apparently, standard K5 thou discs are 310mm, the fork bottom on the forks I have positions the calipers too far out from the wheel centre, suiting a 320mm disc set up (as found on K4 models).

So the fix - Brembo 320mm discs, fitting kit and new brake pads, plus additional labour to fit at a cost of around £500

I wouldnt have minded quite so much, but I had the forks serviced by the same dealer and specifically asked them to verify fitment BEFORE I committed to having them serviced and then fitted. It wasnt till they got everything in today that they then called to say they dont fit!!

Anyone got any bright ideas?

I've doing some searching on best prices for Brembo discs (apparently the only people to make K5 320mm disc conversions), but as i see it, I'm probably going to ferret down the back of the sofa for the extra needed to get them fitted and working in time for my next trackday in a weeks time

:(

Does your bike have radial brakes? If so I'm sure you can space them inwards to compensate for your smaller discs.

Somebody clever will be along shortly to either agree with me or call me a plank.

I'll call myself a plank, you space them for bigger discs. :eusa_wall:

Sell them tome for my K4 1000, I offer twelfty pounds.

Sorry, I'm not helping am I?

You could pretend to sell them to an unsuspecting K4 owner (there must be someone round here with one), and when you meet up exchange forks for cash just twat him on the head and steal his front wheel :eusa_whistle:

Don't fit the brakes. Pull the fairing off it, put some wide bars on and go flat-tracking.

Sorry. :getmecoat:

You could get 5mm machined off either the caliper bodies or the fork post mounts to make them fit with the 310mm discs............ remember it's only 5mm for a 10mm diameter increase or you'll be spacing them out again :eusa_whistle:

Getting them machined has to be cheaper than buying new discs and shouldn't cause any issues.......... I'd go for 5mm off the caliper myself (you could even buy secondhand ones off fleabay so you don't damage the originals), the forks will be worth more unmolested when you come to sell them on. The bolts might be too long then as well so you may have to get new ones ......... or get the hacksaw out.

Any decent machine shop should be able to do it..... Kayla ?

Not so sure on the machining.

I'm not familiar with these calipers, but don't they have a 5mm ish steel engagement ring pressed into the caliper itself. This should locate into the fork bottoms tacking a lot of the shear load off the bolts.

Might be a bit tricky to machine and then press these back in, let alone get them out.

In the interests of safety I’m not sure I would machine the calipers as they are likely to be forged and machining them could cause weakness also what is the depth of the hole in the caliper? If it is say only 15 mm then you are removing a third of its material strength, if the bolt is 10mm then the torsional load surface area is compromised by a third. If you are going to the length of putting ohlin’s R&T’s then the extra expense of the discs should be a reasonable extra. Do K4 disc’s fit as you should be able to get a set for a reasonable price? If the K4 disc offset is narrower then some wheel spacers would be possible and safer.

Couldn't you buy a pair of used discs off A N Other Suzuki?

do the discs have an offset? i've just bought a pair of K1/2 thousand discs - they are 320mm dia, 5 bolt fixing, no offset, same as 08 Busas, some GSXR750s, loads of GSXR600s ...

what about adapters ? i went down to castle donnington to see somone yesterday who speedy sie recomended. i needed to get brackets for four pot nissins with 63mm fitment for my forks at 100mm fitment. they did all the measuring etc and not big money either. pm me if you want the contact details

what about adapters ? i went down to castle donnington to see somone yesterday who speedy sie recomended. i needed to get brackets for four pot nissins with 63mm fitment for my forks at 100mm fitment. they did all the measuring etc and not big money either. pm me if you want the contact details

Hmmm is that to fit the F model Nissins to the C model ZX9 ?

Would be interested in that meself....

I had machining done on R1 calipers to suit an R6 fork on a NC30 with NC30 disc, 7 mm was taken off the calipers, the steel insert was taken out and put back in afterwards. Go for machining, but on the calipers, so you don't devaluate the forks. Have 5mm spacers made up the same so you can go back to stock if needed.

Ronni

Why not just get a price for the brackets on the end of the forks from a ohlins dealer , they are only a bolt on part , or just machine the ones that came with the forks

Hmmm is that to fit the F model Nissins to the C model ZX9 ?

Would be interested in that meself....

yes the later o3 f model. same calipers on z1000 03-04

buy the bigger disks.....i did this on my sp1, i went from 320 to 330 mm disks....no problems, and you will be so pleased the difference the forks make,have you an equivalent shock?

Well, all sorted now so thanks for all the replies.

I fitted a 320mm set of Brembo Clubman discs with new pads. It was an unforeseen expense and a bit of a panic as I had a trackday on saturday and was worrying that the bike wouldnt be ready in time.

This is what sometimes happens when you buy second hand stuff over the net. There is always a bit of a gamble that it isnt exactly what its supposed to be!

Anyway, trackday at Anglesey last saturday and the upgrades all worked a treat and the bike is handling and stopping miles better than it did before (and so I would expect for the modifications undertaken!)

Heres a couple of pics of the bike back together and ready for the trackday

DSC01702.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

Archived